Elevate your pasta night to a whole new level with this luscious creation!! Creamy, savory, and kissed with the sweetness of caramelized onions, it’s a pasta dish that’ll have your taste buds dancing. Best of all, it’s easy to whip up and family-friendly!!
Sometimes — maybe most times?? — simpler = more satisfying. Your dinner does not need to be complicated to be impressive!
Take this pasta dish for example: savory sausage, tender caramelized onions, fresh sweet peas and cream cheese create the perfect combination for your pasta shells. This easy dinner had my husband, my twin babies and myself scooping up seconds!
Here’s how you’ll make my 5 Ingredient Creamy Sausage, Pea, and Caramelized Onion Pasta:
- Start by warming oil and butter in a large sauté pan, then add sliced yellow onions.
- Cook on medium low heat until golden and tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to a boil for your pasta shells.
- Back in the onion pan, scoot onions to one side and add in ground sausage.
- Break up sausage into small, bite-sized pieces using a wooden spoon & cook until no longer pink.
- Drain any excess fat from pan and bring heat down to low. Add frozen peas and cook 2-3 minutes then turn heat off.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Note, if you’re using semolina wheat pasta you’ll want to reserve 1 cup of pasta water before draining. No need to if you’re using gluten-free pasta.
- Once your pasta is cooked, drain it and return it to the hot pot. Add the cream cheese and gently stir until it melts into a creamy sauce.
- Into the pasta add the caramelized onions, savory sausage, and sweet peas. Stir everything together until it’s combined. Add 1/2 cup pasta water or, if you’re using GF pasta, add 1/2 cup of chicken broth to create a luscious sauce.
- Serve this dish warm, with optional grated Parmesan and fresh basil garnish!
Get ready to savor each bite of this creamy dream, where the flavors of sausage, caramelized onions, and sweet peas come together to create a melody of deliciousness. It’s a pasta dish that’ll have you coming back for seconds, guaranteed!!
Thank you for being an amazing reader of The Savvy Spoon! If you loved this post, I would so appreciate you rating it below and/or leaving a comment! Be sure to follow me on Instagram and Facebook for more recipes, twin mom and healthy lifestyle content!
5 Ingredient Creamy Sausage, Pea, and Caramelized Onion Pasta
- 1 lb. your favorite pasta I used Banza chickpea shells
- 1 medium yellow onion sliced thinly
- 1 lb. ground bulk pork sausage (uncooked)
- 2 cups frozen sweet peas
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
if using gluten free pasta
- 1/2 cup chicken bone broth
optional for serving
- grated parmesan cheese, fresh basil leaves
- Start by warming up 1 tbsp. of avocado or olive oil and 1 tbsp. of butter in a sauté pan over medium-low heat.
- When warm, add the thinly sliced onions, a sprinkle of kosher salt, and a dash of pepper. Stir well to coat the onions, and let them cook until they turn golden brown, which should take about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pot, bring water to a boil and add a generous amount of kosher salt. Cook your pasta according to the package directions. If you're using regular or semolina pasta, remember to save about 1/2 cup of pasta water before draining.
- As your onions finish caramelizing, push them to one side of the pan and add the ground pork sausage. Break it up into little pieces with a spoon, then allow it to cook and mingle with the onions.
- Drain any excess fat from the pan and return it to low heat. Add the frozen sweet peas and let them cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Once your pasta is cooked to perfection, drain it and return it to the hot pot. Add the cream cheese and gently stir until it melts into a creamy sauce.
- Add the caramelized onions, savory sausage, and sweet peas to the pasta. Stir everything together until it's combined. If you're using GF pasta, add 1/2 cup of chicken broth instead of the pasta water to create your sauce.
- Serve warm with optional grated parmesan and chopped fresh basil!