Comfort food at it’s finest.
This Skinny Hamburger Helper Pasta was the result of me rummaging through what very little was left in our pantry and fridge from our last quarantine grocery haul… a “kitchen sink” dish you could say haha! We always have some sort of pasta on hand (never can have enough, truly) but now what we were going to put into it…
Well my kitchen treasure hunt basically only turned up a couple items — ground turkey, a half of a block of white cheddar cheese, some chicken broth and canned crushed tomatoes. Turns out that’s all you need for a rich, meaty, cheesy pasta reminiscent of your childhood!!
The best best part? You only need one pan to make this dish — hello easy clean up! No need to boil the pasta separately, it will cook to it’s perfect al dente texture right in the sauce.
Feel free to customize this dish with whatever ground meat you have on hand! You can swap the chicken stock for beef or vegetable and the white cheddar for classic! This easy weeknight meal is your oyster.
Skinny Hamburger Helper
- 1 lb. your favorite pasta, I used Great Low Carb Company penne
- 1 lb. ground turkey, can sub ground beef, chicken or pork
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 15-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbs. tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken stock, can sub beef broth
- ½ cup grated white cheddar cheese
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- salt and pepper
- In a deep skillet or dutch oven, heat olive oil then add in ground turkey, breaking up with spoon. Cook for 3-4 minutes, then add in diced onion. Cook until meat is no longer pink and onions are soft, about 6 minutes total.
- Add in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste and chicken stock, along with 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Bring to a boil, then add in pasta and lower heat to a high simmer.
- Simmer until pasta has cooked through, about 10 minutes. Stir in grated cheddar cheese and taste for seasoning! Serve warm.