Soup is the kind of thing that warms ya up and makes you feel all cuddly inside no matter what time of year or day or mood you might be in… soup makes you happy. Calm. In this case, muy contento.
I have always loved my girl Ina’s Mexican Chicken Soup recipe, so I used that as a starting point and added/subtracted some flavs to take it over the top.
Here’s how you’ll make Mexican Chicken Soup:
- Roast bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts for 40 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Meanwhile, sauté onions, celery, carrots and garlic in a pot.
- Add tomatoes, stock and herbs to the pot.
- Add cooked chicken to soup and top with optional toppings!
The longer the soup simmers, the thicker it will be. It’s packed with veggies, free of cream, and an easy, one pot wonder… and it also makes for some scrumptious leftovers that will have you saying “WHOOP FOR SOOOP” (thanks Ty for that one) for days to come.
TIPS FOR MAKING MEXICAN CHICKEN SOUP
- There’s no better way to make juicy, mouthwatering chicken than to roast it with the bone in and skin on — EVEN if you plan to discard both!
- If you want a zippy shortcut, use shredded rotisserie chicken instead!
- Get creative with the toppings– sour cream, cheese, roasted corn, cilantro etc. would all be delicious on top!
Mexican Chicken Soup
- 2 bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 4 stalks celery diced
- 2 tsp. oregano
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 jalapeño minced
- 1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 32-oz. box low sodium chicken stock
- 3 tbs. olive oil or avocado oil
- salt + pepper
- sliced avocados, chopped cilantro, tortilla chips, sour cream, shredded cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. On a sheet pan lined with foil, place chicken breasts. Drizzle with olive oil and season well with kosher salt and pepper. Roast for 40 minutes.
- In a dutch oven or pot, heat 2 tbs. olive oil over medium heat, then add onions, celery and carrots. Season with salt and pepper and let soften, about 5 minutes. Stir in oregano, garlic and jalapeño and cook another minute before adding tomatoes and chicken stock.
- Bring soup to a boil then lower heat to simmer while chicken continues to roast. After chicken has cooked, let rest at least 5 minutes before discarding skin and shredding with forks.
- Add chicken and any drippings to the soup and ladle into bowls. Top with avocado, cilantro and any other toppings!