the coziest bowl of oats to wake up to!
I took some polls on insta stories to see if y’all eat breakfast, if you make it yourself and what you typically make, and overnight oats + smoothies were at the top of the charts. y’all have my heart!
tbh sometimes the only thing that gets me moving in the morning is the thought of eating 😂 and what better than to already have some overnight oats waiting for you in the fridge?! that’s all the motivation I need 😋
If you’re asking yourself “okay wait, what are overnight oats?” I got you: overnight oats are uncooked rolled oats that soften overnight (or really, after a couple of hours) in the refrigerator with milk and other mix-ins. Once you have a basic recipe down, you can get experimental with your flavorings!
So here’s the basic recipe for overnight oats, then we can get to the chocolate peanutiness of it all. For any overnight oats recipe you’ll need at least:
- old fashioned rolled oats. gluten free if they suite you
- milk. I’m a plant milk kind of girl but you do you
- nut butter or yogurt. this will (along with chia seeds) help to create a thick, creamier texture, but you can skip if allergies are a prob
- chia seeds. might technically be optional but again, they make for a more pudding-like consistency
- sweetener. use something pure if you can like honey or agave
- flavoring. I use vanilla extract in my classic overnight oats recipe!
CAN YOU USE STEEL CUT OATS? I’ve gotten this question before on my Instagram page and the short answer is yes*. You can use steel cut oats but they will not soften anything like rolled oats will, regardless of their time in the fridge. So if that’s all you have that’s okay! Just know they’ll taste much chewier than rolled.
and if you’re salivating now and don’t want to wait until tomorrow morning to make these (🙄 planning) then I have good news for you too – these oats can also be made the old fash way on the stove in less than 10 minutes!
so whether or not you make these the night before or the morning of, everyone (including your taste buds) will win 🤤
Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats
- 1 cup gluten free rolled oats I use Bob's Red Mill
- 1 cup plant milk I used vanilla almond for this recipe
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tbs. chia seeds
- 1 tbs. nut butter
- 1 honeycrisp apple diced
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- coconut oil
- walnut pieces optional
- Combine first four ingredients and distribute evenly between two jars. Cover and place into refrigerator overnight, or for at least 4 hours.
- When ready to eat, on the stove melt 1 tsp. coconut oil and when warm, add diced apple. season with a pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg and sauté until golden. Top oats with nut butter and distribute apple between the two jars!
for stovetop oats:
- Heat almond milk to a low boil, then add oats. season with cinnamon + nutmeg, add vanilla extract and cook for 8-10 minutes, adding chia seeds in the last couple mins. cook apple separately as directed above, then top oats with apple, nut butter and walnuts!