Jasmine rice but make it CHEESY.
I took a poll on my Instagram Stories to gauge whether readers were more into the idea of a Cheesy Zucchini Rice or a Cheesy Broccoli Rice (a zucchini v. broccoli showdown, if you will). Well folks, broccoli dominated with the RESOUNDING win, which tells me two things: 1) yall loveeee you some broccoli and 2) where are my zucchini lovers at!? But that’s another soapbox for another time.
Broccoli is typically a crowd pleaser… add a little cheese to them trees and it becomes a vegetable almost everyone can endure 😉
I’ve been making a TON of cauliflower rice lately (as seen here and here) but I had a craving for the good ole fluffy stuff, so here we are. Jasmine rice is inexpensive, versatile and cooks in about 15-18 minutes in water with a pinch of salt! SO easy.
So here’s how to make this simple, crowd-pleasing side dish:
- Cook your rice in a saucepan with water and salt.
- Steam your broccoli in a double boiler/steamer pot, then toss out the water used to steam.
- Add the fluffy cooked rice to the steamer pot with the broccoli.
- Fold in cheddar cheese, tabasco, salt + pepper!
You will need two small pots to make this recipe but it comes together in no time and requires SO. LITTLE. EFFORT. My favorite kind of recipes on weeknights!!
Oh and P.S. — this rice would truly taste just as great with grated zucchini, so don’t shy away if you voted for the zucchs in my poll 🙂 you won’t even need to cook them! Just fold the shredded zucchini into the hot steamed rice with the shredded cheddar.
Cheesy Broccoli Rice
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 head broccoli chopped into florets
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tbs. butter or ghee
- 5 shakes Tabasco
- salt + pepper
- Start by combining jasmine rice, water and a pinch of salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil then lower heat to simmer, covering. Let rice steam for 15-18 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a steamer pot, add about 2" of water to the bottom then place basket on top. Place broccoli florets into basket and cover, bringing heat up to medium to simmer (water shouldn't touch broccoli). Cook broccoli for about 4-5 minutes until tender but not mushy. Season with salt and pepper.
- Once broccoli has steamed, remove basket from pot and discard boiling water. Place broccoli into pot (out of steamer basket) and add cooked rice to the broccoli. Add shredded cheese, butter and Tabasco, stirring gently to combine! Taste and add seasoning or more cheese if desired!