These cheesy, light as a feather, juicy ricotta meatballs are gluten free and bake in the oven. Serve them with your favorite marinara sauce on their own or over pasta, grains, cauliflower rice or more!
There’s nothing better than biting into a juicy, cheesy, flavorful meatball!
The problem is, oftentimes meatballs come out tough. Or they seem tough to make! I promise you there’s a better way.
These juicy ricotta turkey meatballs are naturally gluten free because we use flax meal in lieu of breadcrumbs as the binder in this recipe. The meatballs are great served on their own in marinara sauce or over top of mashed or riced cauliflower for a gluten free, low carb meal. They’re also a perfect compliment to pasta, couscous, or any other grain you have on hand!
I love that these meatballs are oven baked because you a) aren’t committed to standing over the stove to brown them, and b) you can actually — legitimately! — relax while they bake. We love a hands-free cooking moment.
Here’s how you’ll make these Juicy Ricotta Turkey Meatballs:
- Preheat your oven to 400º.
- Cook diced onions and garlic on the stove to soften then take off heat to cool.
- Mix together ricotta, egg, flax meal, parmesan cheese, salt, pepper before adding in cooled onions & garlic.
- Gently add in ground turkey to combine.
- Scoop out mixture and form meatball, placing on a foil-lined and greased sheet pan.
- Bake all meatballs in oven for 20 mins.
- Heat sauce stovetop then add meatballs to sauce before serving!
They key to light and pillowy meatballs is to AVOID OVERMIXING when you’re combining all of your ingredients together! You can do so by mixing everything *except* the meat first, then gently folding/mashing in your ground turkey last.
What can I serve these Juicy Ricotta Turkey Meatballs with to keep them gluten-free?
- On their own in sauce, with a big side salad
- Over mashed cauliflower
- Over riced cauliflower
- Over quinoa
- Over chickpea pasta (I love Banza brand)
- Over brown rice
I hope you love these light-as-air meatballs! If you make them, a rating/review is SO appreciated! Thank you fam!
Looking for other meatball recipes? Check these out:
Thank you for being an amazing reader of The Savvy Spoon! If you loved this post, I would so appreciate you rating it below and/or leaving a comment! Be sure to follow me on Instagram and Facebook for more recipes, twin mom and healthy lifestyle content!
Juicy Ricotta Turkey Meatballs
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup part skim ricotta cheese
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup flax meal can sub breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp. grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 24-oz. jar your favorite marinara I love Rao's
optional for serving
- parmesan cheese, fresh basil
- Start by preheating your oven to 400º.
- In a dutch oven or deep sided pan, heat 1 tbsp. olive oil over medium heat. Add diced onion and cook 3 minutes before adding minced garlic. Cook until onions are soft but not browned, about 5 minutes total. Turn off heat.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta, egg, flax meal, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Add in cooled onions & garlic. Once combined well, add in ground turkey meat and combine, being careful not to over mix.
- Line a sheet pan with foil and spray with cooking spray. Using a 1 1/2" cookie scoop or a round tablespoon, scoop out meat mixture and roll into meatball. Place on sheet pan and continue to create all meatballs, leaving some space between them on the pan.
- Place into oven and bake for 20 minutes or until meatballs are no longer pink.
- While meatballs cook, place jar of marinara sauce into the same deep sided pan you used for onions & garlic and bring to a simmer over medium low heat. When meatballs are finished baking, use tongs to place them carefully into the marinara.
- Top meatballs and marinara with more parmesan cheese and fresh basil, if desired.