HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!
While everyone’s out here debating burgers versus hot dogs I’ll be enjoying a second helping of my One Pot Taco Pasta!
What is it about patriotic holidays that makes me always crave Mexican food!? Maybe I’m weird but chips and salsa and margs feels oh so right on Memorial Day or Fourth of July or Labor Day! Or maybe I just crave Mexican 24/7/365 so today is no different lol.
Enter: this boiling pot of creamy, cheesy, taco seasoned pasta! I love a one-pot-situation — less to pull out and put up makes everyoneee happier.
So here’s the run down:
- Brown the meat + remove with slotted spoon.
- Sauté onions, bell pepper and frozen or canned corn with taco seasoning.
- Add salsa, water, and the browned meat, bringing everything to a boil.
- Add in pasta and let cook in the boil liquid.
- Stir in shredded cheese and serve up with your toppings!
Tips for making One Pot Taco Pasta:
- Use whatever meat you’d like, but ground beef was delicious!
- You can use any pasta you’d like, I used Banza gluten free chickpea pasta.
- Feel free to add anything additional to customize your dinner — cilantro, black beans, jalapeños, etc. would all be delicious!
One Pot Taco Pasta
- 1 lb. lean ground beef , 85%/15% or 90%/10%
- 1 lb. gluten free shell pasta
- ½ onion , diced
- 1 red bell pepper , diced
- 1 cup frozen or canned corn
- 1 packet low sodium taco seasoning, look for one that's GF if you can
- 1 cup red salsa
- 2 cups water
- ¾ cup shredded mexican blend or cheddar cheese
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- avocado slices, optional
- Start by heating 1 tbs. olive oil in a dutch oven or pot then add in ground beef, breaking apart with a wooden spoon. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Once beef is no longer pink, about 4-5 minutes, remove from pan with a slotted spoon and place onto plate. In the same pot, heat one more tablespoon of olive oil then add onions, bell peppers and corn. Sauté until soft, about 4-5 minutes. Stir in taco seasoning.
- Add browned beef back to the pot with the water and salsa. Bring to a boil before adding pasta, turning heat down to a medium simmer.
- Cook pasta until tender and al dente, about 7-10 minutes. Serve in bowls and top with avocado slices!