Crunchy, soy and sesame flavored coleslaw gets a next-level crunch from old-school ramen noodles and salty roasted peanuts!
This is the slaw of slaws.
It was inspired by a slaw from none other than Oiishi, a Dallas mecca for incredible Asian food. Along with their killer sushi rolls, Oiishi serve’s up some incredibly good Pan-Asian food like Kung Pao Chicken and super savory Chicken Pho. But one item I truly look forward to eating every time we go is their Spicy Cabbage Salad — I literally crave it. I know, we don’t need to beat around the bush here — it’s CABBAGE. What could make it so drool-inducing!?
The dressing and crunch, but of course.
Their slaw is comprised of cabbage, carrots, red onions, fried onion strings and a spicy sesame soy dressing. It has major crunch and is the perfect compliment to any sushi roll. This is my super easy to recreate variation!
Side note, if you’re gluten free, you can find GF ramen noodles at grocery stores like Whole Foods, or you can skip them entirely. The cabbage is crunchy along with the peanuts, so the ramen packs just a little extra but can be skipped!
We served our slaw with my Spicy Asian Pork Tenderloin, but it would be a great compliment to any Asian-inspired meal!
Spicy Ramen Slaw
- 2 16-oz. bags coleslaw shredded cabbage + carrot mix
- 1 bunch green onions sliced
- 1 packet ramen noodles discarding the flavor packet
- ½ red onion thinly sliced
- 1 avocado sliced
- crushed roasted peanuts optional
- ¼ cup liquid or coconut aminos can sub soy sauce
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tbs. ginger paste or 2" piece peeled + minced
- 2 tbs. white vinegar I used rice wine
- 1 tbs. brown sugar
- 1 tbs. sesame oil
- 1-2 tsp. sriracha hot sauce to taste
- 1 tbs. sesame seeds
- 1 tsp. pepper
- Combine all ingredients for dressing with a whisk at the bottom of a big salad bowl.
- Add coleslaw, red onions and green onions, breaking apart onion slices as you add.
- Using something heavy like a can, crush ramen noodles inside of packaging. Add to salad and toss to combine. Top with avocado slices and serve!