with Sausage + Ricotta!
I’m here to tell you that lemon on your flatbread (aka a personal pizza if I’ve ever seen one!) is going to be your new favorite thing. TRUST.
I knowwwww I know it might seem sort of bizarre but if you like citrusy ANYTHING you’re going to love this, really. When the lemon cooks down in the oven it becomes almost melted and brings a special brightness to the breads. Not sour, just slightly tart enough that your taste buds wake up!
Now I don’t consider myself an encyclopedia of pizzas but I sure do eat a lot of it. I’m calling these flatbreads because they’re sauceless — the ricotta cheese is soft and spreadable and acts like a sauce but isn’t. But I promise you won’t need any!
I’m completely obsessed with this summery flavor combo: artichokes are juicy and a bit tangy, lemons are zesty and sweet, the sausage crumbles have a nice herby spice to them and the ricotta is so cool and mellow. We should all try to be more like ricotta!!!!
So here’s how you’ll make these Lemon Artichoke Flatbreads:
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees
- Brown your turkey, chicken or pork sausage
- Assemble your naan flatbreads
- Finish in oven!
PRO TIP: If you can’t get on board with lemon slices, simply zest your lemon and sprinkle onto the ricotta layer when assembling your flatbreads. You’ll get the same delicious tangy flavor without any lemon rind!
We served our flatbreads with a side kale salad tossed with avocado and marcona almonds. We loved the mix of the two!!
Thank you for being an amazing reader of The Savvy Spoon! If you make this recipe and love it, I would so appreciate you rating it below. Be sure to follow me on Instagram and Facebook for more recipes, workouts and lifestyle content!
Lemon Artichoke Flatbreads with Sausage + Ricotta
- 2 naan flatbreads , I used whole wheat from 365 brand
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- ½ lb. uncooked ground sausage (chicken, pork or turkey), about 2½ links
- 1 15-oz. can quartered artichoke hearts, lightly chopped
- 1 lemon, washed well and thinly sliced and cut in half
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- salt and pepper
- chopped basil for serving
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat then add 1 tbs. olive oil. Add in ground sausage and break up with spoon, cooking until no longer pink (about 4-5 minutes). Remove from heat.
- Spread 1/2 cup of ricotta onto each naan flatbread, spreading towards the edges into an even layer. Sprinkle each lightly with salt and pepper. Separate the cooked ground sausage between the two naans, then top each with the chopped artichoke hearts. Layer on thin slices of lemon (see chef's note) and top each with mozzarella cheese.
- Place naan breads onto cooking sheet lined with tin foil. Place in preheated oven and cook until cheese has melted, about 10 minutes. To make cheese extra golden, broil for an additional 2-3 minutes! Top with basil and serve warm.