These tacos are muy delicioso! The savory, seasoned shredded chicken is topped by fresh cilantro, lime, and queso fresco for an authentic, straight-from-the-beach Mexican flavor combo.
I like to eat chicken tacos with soft, flour tortillas, but I recommend the smallest size (maybe because it makes me feel less guilty going back for seconds…). These will make any ole night into a fiesta!
Baja Chicken Tacos
Seasoned, tender chicken is the star of these soft tacos!
- 2 bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts
- 1 package low sodium taco seasoning
- ½ white or yellow onion diced
- ¾ cup water
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- salt + pepper
- tortillas, cotija or queso fresco crumbles, chopped cilantro, lime wedges
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Place the chicken breasts on a baking sheet covered in aluminum foil. Drizzle with olive oil and then sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Place in oven and cook for 35 minutes, then remove and let cool. Chicken breasts will not be fully cooked.
- In a medium skillet, heat 1 tbs. of olive oil. When warm, add onions and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Once the chicken has cooled enough to handle, remove the skin and discard. Shred the chicken using two forks (or your hands!) into bite sized shreds. Add into the pan (along with any juices that may have escaped) with the onions and combine.
- Add in the taco seasoning packet and the water to pan and bring to a boil. Turn heat to low and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Fill the warm tortillas with the chicken mix then top with the fresh cilantro, a squeezed lime, and the crumbled queso fresco!
Tried this recipe?Share with others how it was!