I’m in love I’m in love and I don’t care who knows it! With hummus, that is. More specifically hummus CRUSTED chicken. Optionally on a bed of couscous. Drizzled in dressing. Give me Mediterranean or give me death.
A little aggressive, maybe. But Greek food just *gets* me… garlicky, citrusy, fresh, sometimes spicy, typically involves feta… what’s not to love! I know there isn’t chocolate drizzled all over it and it’s not soaked in a bottle of wine, but nonetheless, it’s gooooood.
The first time I made this chicken I served it with a side of the couscous tabbouleh and dressed everything with a lemon vinaigrette, but this chicken would be great in pitas, on a bed of lettuce or even as little dippers in tzatziki. In the photos you’ll see it served with a chopped salad made of sliced hearts of palm, cherry tomatoes, avocados, shallots and basil, all drizzled in red wine vinegar. Your opportunities for hummus chicken devouring know no boundaries!
Hummus Crusted Chicken
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts trimmed of fat
- ½ cup hummus any flavor like classic, garlic, jalapeño…
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs can use GF variety
- 3 tbs. olive oil
- salt + pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Sprinkle both sides of chicken breasts with salt and pepper, patting down to keep seasoning in place.
- Coat chicken in hummus by spreading a thin, even layer of hummus on one side of your chicken breasts using a spatula. On a separate plate, place your panko bread crumbs into a thin layer. Place breasts hummus-side down into panko to coat, then repeat for all chicken breasts.
- In a non-stick skillet, heat 1 tbs. olive oil and when hot, place one breast in at a time, crust side down to brown – about two minutes. flip over carefully and cook another 2 minutes, then remove from pan and place onto sheet pan lined with tin foil and sprayed lightly with cooking spray. repeat for all chicken breasts, wiping out pan with paper towel and heating more oil before cooking next breast.
- Bake sheet pan of chicken for 13-15 minutes, or until cooked through. Let chicken rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing!
- 1 5.8-oz box couscous I use Near East brand
- ½ yellow onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ pint cherry tomatoes sliced
- ½ hothouse or English cucumber peeled and diced
- ½ jalapeño deseeded and minced
- ¼ red onion sliced
- ½ bunch flat-leaf parsley rinsed and chopped
- juice from one lemon
- 1.5 tbs. olive oil divided
- salt + pepper
- In a medium bowl, add cherry tomatoes, cucumber, jalapeño, red onion and chopped parsley. Season with salt and pepper and let rest while you cook the couscous.
- In a saucepan, heat 1 tbs. olive oil over medium heat then add diced yellow onion. Let cook for 3-4 minutes before adding in garlic, cooking for another minute. Add in coucous, seasoning packet and chicken broth and bring everything to a boil. Once boiling, cover and remove from heat. Let couscous steam for 5 minutes before opening lid. Fluff with fork.
- In the veggie bowl, add fluffed couscous. Squeeze lemon juice over top the couscous along with 1/2 tbs. olive oil. Toss together and season with salt and pepper as needed!