nostalgi-ahhhh so good. Go back to the glory days on the blacktop just by adding a few simple ingredients to your classic overnight oats!
We are obsessed with overnight oats in our house — they take a whopping 3 minutes to put together and overnight become a creamy, decadent and rich breakfast treat. We love mixing up our standard recipe with different mix-ins and thought, what mixes with peanut butter better than jelly!?
If you’re asking yourself “okay wait, what are overnight oats?” I got you: overnight oats are uncooked rolled oats that soften overnight (or really, after a couple of hours) in the refrigerator with milk and other mix-ins. Once you have a basic recipe down, you can get experimental with your flavorings!
So here’s the basic recipe for overnight oats, then we can get to the chocolate peanutiness of it all. For any overnight oats recipe you’ll need at least:
- old fashioned rolled oats. gluten free if they suite you
- milk. I’m a plant milk kind of girl but you do you
- nut butter or yogurt. this will (along with chia seeds) help to create a thick, creamier texture, but you can skip if allergies are a prob
- chia seeds. might technically be optional but again, they make for a more pudding-like consistency
- sweetener. use something pure if you can like honey or agave
- flavoring. I use vanilla extract in my classic overnight oats recipe!
CAN YOU USE STEEL CUT OATS? I’ve gotten this question before on my Instagram page and the short answer is yes*. You can use steel cut oats but they will not soften anything like rolled oats will, regardless of their time in the fridge. So if that’s all you have that’s okay! Just know they’ll taste much chewier than rolled.
I made our overnight oats in my fave glass to-go jars from @amazon but use whatever Tupperware you have!
Peanut Butter and Jelly Overnight Oats
- ⅔ cup gluten free rolled oats
- ⅔ cup plant milk, I use vanilla almond
- 2 tbs. chia seeds
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tbs. unsweetened peanut butter
- 1 tbs. raspberry or strawberry preserves
- 1 tsp. honey or agave nectar, optional
- Mix first five ingredients together, then add your natural peanut butter and raspberry preserves on top without mixing.
- Let sit overnight or for at least 6 hours, then mix together to enjoy!