here me out okay!!!??
if you follow me on Insta stories you know my idea for tonight’s dinner sparked some controversy – not *everyone* thought a cheeseburger salad sounded good. but after asking y’all what you thought, over 200 of y’all voted in favor (sorry mom). so let’s get to it!
and and what’s not to love about seasoned meat, melted cheese + crispy lettuce? top it all with juicy cherry tomatoes, creamy avocado, crunchy tangy chopped pickles + caramelized onions and hot damnnn we’ve got cheeseburger salad. nourish your bellies and your drive-thru cravings all at once!
Turkey Cheeseburger Salad
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded green leaf or iceberg lettuce
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- ½ pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 crunchy pickle spears, chopped
- ½ avocado, sliced
- hot banana pepper rings, optional
- 2 tbs. balsamic vinegar
- olive oil
- garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- Start by cooking onions: heat 1 tbs. olive oil in a skillet, then add sliced onions. season with salt + pepper, then after about 5 mins add a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. cook until soft and gooey, about 10-12 minutes.
- Brown turkey meat in same skillet, seasoning with salt, pepper and garlic powder. when no longer pink (about 5-6 mins), lower heat to low and sprinkle on cheddar cheese.
- In a bowl, toss shredded lettuce lightly with your favorite dressing – my favorite recipe is below! make sure all your veggies are sliced.
- Make bowls by layering dressed lettuce with cheesy meat, caramelized onions and your favorite veggies!
for simple apple cider vinaigrette
- Shake or whisk together 1 cup oil, 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar, 2 smashed garlic cloves, 1 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. pepper altogether!