A flavorful fire-roasted tomato and broth-based soup filled with veggies and made hearty with cheese-filled tortellini pasta!
Just wait until you slurp a spoon of this hearty soup perfect for cozy fall nights! Minestrone is a classic Italian vegetable soup usually made with canned tomatoes, broth, onions, carrots, celery, beans and pasta. This version shakes up the traditional ingredients by using fire-roasted tomatoes, kale and cheese-stuffed tortellini pasta to really amp up the flavor!
Soups are one of my favorite things to make for leftovers. It’s so easy to heat up a little cup or mug of leftover soup for a meal or light snack once it’s cooked! I also love using soups to sneak in a ton of veggies into every bite.
So let’s break down this soup! You’ll need:
- Fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- Chicken or vegetable stock
- Yellow onion
- Cannelini beans
- Tortellini pasta
- Chopped kale leaves
- Parmesan cheese
You can have fun with the ingredients and customize the soup to your liking by choosing your stock (chicken or veggie for vegetarian), the amount of garlic, different white beans and your favorite variety of tortellini pasta. I used a three-cheese pasta to keep it vegetarian but was tempted by so many other tortellini stuffing options!
Here’s how you’ll make my Tortellini Minestrone Soup:
- Sauté onions, carrots and celery in a deep pot or dutch oven.
- Add garlic, then canned tomatoes, broth and beans.
- Bring to a boil then simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add kale leaves and pasta, cooking until al dente.
- Top with lots of parm, spoon into bowls and enjoy!
I hope you enjoy this easy to make, hard to resist soup! Happy slurping!
Tortellini Minestrone Soup
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 3 carrots peeled and diced
- 4 celery ribs diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 14-oz. cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 14-oz. can cannellini beans or northern beans
- 2 cups chopped kale leaves ribs removed
- 1 9-oz. package cheese tortellini pasta
- ¼ cup shaved parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp. chopped basil leaves
- Warm 1 tbsp. olive oil over medium heat in a dutch oven or deep pot.
- When warm, add diced onions, carrots and celery and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add in minced garlic and cook another minute.
- After a minute, add in diced tomatoes, stock and rinsed beans. Bring soup to a boil then lower heat to simmer for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, increase heat to medium and add in kale leaves and tortellini pasta. Cook until al dente, about 8-10 minutes.
- Top soup with fresh basil leaves and parmesan, then ladle into bowls. Enjoy!