All the flavors of your favorite chicken and cheese enchiladas in a gooey skillet – ready in 15 minutes!
When I die, bury me in cheesy chicken enchiladas!
Okay that might be a bit bleak to start us off. But I need you to know just how much I live for Mexican food – especially gooey enchiladas.
We’ve made my Lazy Girl Enchiladas Verdes, my Skinny Beef and Cheese Enchiladas, and remember my Red and Green Enchiladas Divorciadas? I’m hungry again just typing. They are all top notch recipes… and most of them come together in 30 or so minutes.
But this recipe? Try 15 minutes or less. Aka the ultimate Lazy Girl, HUNGRY RIGHT NOW Girl kind of recipe. 🙂
If you like the sound of seasoned chicken, sautéed onions, green chilis, tortillas and enchilada sauce topped with bubbling, melted cheese — you *might* just love this recipe.
Here’s how you’ll make my One Pan Chicken Enchilada Skillet:
- Dice chicken and season with taco seasoning packet.
- Heat oil in skillet before adding in chicken. Cook for 3-4 minutes then remove from pan.
- Add diced onion and green chilis and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add in enchilada sauce, cooked chicken, and cut tortillas. Toss everything to coat.
- Top with cheese and broil in oven.
- Finish with avocado, jalapeño slices and cilantro.
You’ll start by dicing up your chicken breasts into cubes, discarding any loose fat. Toss it all in a bowl and season it with your favorite taco seasoning packet. I like to look for packets that are gluten free and/or low sodium.
Next, you’ll heat your avocado oil up in your skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add seasoned diced chicken and cook 3-4 minutes, scraping bottom of pan as you cook.
Remove the chicken from the skillet and add a touch more oil. Then add in your diced onions and chopped green chilis and cook until onions are soft, about 3-4 minutes.
Next you’ll add in your favorite enchilada sauce to the onions and green chilis. Add back in your cooked chicken and your cut tortilla wedges, stirring to coat them in your sauce.
Top everything with your Mexican cheese blend and put into the broiler (which should be around 500º. Broiling means you’re heating with the top burner of the oven only, which will VERY quickly melt and brown your cheese. Don’t walk away for long — some ovens broil extremely fast and you don’t want to burn your masterpiece.
Once your cheese has melted to a nice golden brown color, remove the skillet from the oven. Top with sliced avocado, sliced jalapeños and cilantro! You could even add a little dollop of greek yogurt or sour cream on top for some extra cool creaminess.
I hope you and your family love this new enchilada recipe!
Looking for more Enchiladas recipes? Check these out!
- Lazy Girl Enchiladas Verdes Recipe
- Skinny Beef and Cheese Enchiladas Recipe
- Lazy Girl Pumpkin Spice Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
- Lazy Girl Red and Green Enchiladas Divorciadas Recipe
- Ranch Enchiladas Recipe
Thank you for being an amazing reader of The Savvy Spoon! If you make this recipe and love it, I would so appreciate you rating it below and/or leaving a comment! Be sure to follow me on Instagram and Facebook for more recipes, workouts and lifestyle content!
One Pan Chicken Enchilada Skillet
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts trimmed and diced into cubes
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 1/2 tbsp. avocado oil divided
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 4.5-oz. can diced green chilis
- 3 corn tortillas cut into 1/8ths
- 1 1/2 cups red enchilada sauce I used Trader Joe's sauce
- 3/4 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- sliced avocados, sliced jalapeños, chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to broil (around 500º).
- Start by dicing up your chicken breasts into cubes, discarding any loose fat. Place into a bowl and season it with your favorite taco seasoning packet.
- Heat 1 tbsp. of avocado oil up in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add seasoned diced chicken and cook 3-4 minutes, scraping bottom of pan as you cook.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and place onto plate. Add remaining oil and let warm before adding in diced onions and chopped green chilis. Cook until onions are soft, stirring often, for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add enchilada sauce to the onions and green chilis. Add back in your cooked chicken and your cut tortilla wedges, stirring to coat them in your sauce.
- Top with Mexican cheese blend and put into the preheated broiler. Cook time will vary but should be around 2-4 minutes in oven. Watch closely as cheese can quickly burn!
- Once your cheese has melted to a nice golden brown color, remove the skillet from the oven. Top with sliced avocado, sliced jalapeños and cilantro!