I’m bringing you ¡MAS ENCHILADAS! because can you ever truly have enough!? My Lazy Girl Enchiladas Verdes is one of the most popular recipes on the blog so I’m bringing you #anotherone DJ Khaled-style with SKINNY BEEF + CHEESE ENCHILADAS! Yum scrum!!
I’ve been craving red meat more than usual lately so it was such a treat to dig into these cheesy, spicy enchiladas filled with chunks of tender grass fed lean ground beef. If you’re not a red meat eater or just want to use what you have, you can ABSOLUTELY swap out ground beef for ground turkey or chicken. You could even use chorizo for a stupendously delicious, authentic batch!
I discuss this in the video but to keep these lean and “skinny” we’re using 90/10 organic, grass fed beef — THE GOOD STUFF. 90/10 refers to the meat/fat ratio of the ground beef, so the lower the fat content the better with a richer protein like beef.
We’re also keeping the cheese light and using gluten free tortillas to round out our slimmer Mexican restaurant favorite. You won’t taste the difference but you will feel it!
MORE MEXICAN RECIPES: Lazy Girl Enchiladas Verdes, Mexican Stuffed Bell Peppers, One Pot Taco Pasta, Tender Crisp Carnitas, Ground Turkey Tostadas, Baked Salsa Chicken + Cauliflower Rice, Sheet Pan Fajitas
Here’s how we’ll make the Skinny Beef Enchiladas:
- Brown the meat
- Sauté the onions
- Heat tortillas + stuff with filling
- Roll and repeat
- Top with sauce + cheese
- Bake for 35 minutes
- Top with ensalada!
It might sound like a lot of steps but they’re SO so simple and take very little time — so let’s get to it!
Thank you for being an amazing reader of The Savvy Spoon! If you make this recipe and love it, I would so appreciate you rating it below. Be sure to follow me on Instagram and Facebook for more recipes, workouts and lifestyle content!
Skinny Beef Enchiladas
- 1 lb. organic lean ground beef 90/10 or 85/15
- 6-8 fajita-sized tortillas choose grain-free if possible
- 1 28-oz. can red enchilada sauce I like Old El Paso
- 12 tbs. shredded cheddar cheese, plus 1/2 cup for topping
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 jalapeño seeded and minced
- ½ packet taco seasoning gluten free and/or low sodium if possible
for ensalada topping
- 1 cup shredded iceberg or romaine lettuce
- 2-3 radishes sliced thinly
- ½ avocado diced
- cotija cheese for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large skillet, warm 1 tbs. olive oil then add in ground beef. Season with salt and pepper and break up with wooden spoon, cooking until no longer pink. Drain fat from pan, then sprinkle in taco seasoning and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil then simmer for 5 minutes before placing onto plate.
- In same pan, heat 1 tbs. oil then add diced onion. Cook for 4-5 minutes until soft, then add to beef.
- Meanwhile, mince jalapeño and slice radishes if using. Add jalapeño to beef and onions.
- In 9×13 glass dish, add 1/4 cup red enchilada sauce to cover bottom.
- In cleaned pan, heat one tortilla for 15-30 seconds each side, then (on cutting board) add 1/2-3/4 cup of beef/onion/jalapeño filling. Top with 1-2 tbs. shredded cheese, then roll and place seam-side down into dish. Continue with all 6-8 tortillas.
- Cover with remaining sauce and top with 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Top cooked enchiladas with shredded lettuce, avocado, radishes and cotija cheese!