when it’s 26 degrees (but really wtf) and dark at 5pm all I want for dinner is something hot, quick and easy with a short ingredient list. Like is that so much to ask for??? It shouldn’t be.
These filling, low carb stuffed peppers are ready in right around 30 minutes and will take you from zero (degrees on the inside) to hero of the night.
Mexican Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 8 bell peppers
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- ½ cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 jalapeños, seeded (or not for more heat)
- 1 16-oz. bag riced cauliflower, fresh or frozen
- 1 15-oz. can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 packet low-sodium taco seasoning
- 2 tbs. tomato paste
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- avocado slices
- Start by heating oven to 400 degrees.
- Prep bell peppers by slicing off tops and scooping out seeds to create bowls, then place peppers standing up in an 8×8” pan lined in tin foil (9×13” if you’re baking 8 peppers). Then brown turkey meat in skillet heated on medium with about 1 tbs. olive oil. When no longer pink, add taco seasoning and 1/2 cup water. Let cook for 2 mins then place into mixing bowl.
- In same skillet, heat 1 tsp. Olive oil and diced yellow onion – let cook another 3 mins or until softened before adding cauliflower rice. Season with salt and pepper and let cook for 2-3 mins before adding 2 tbs. tomato paste. Add half of rice to mixing bowl.
- Combine meat and rice with 2 minced jalapeños, pinto beans and 1/4 cup cheese. Stuff peppers and top with more cheese – place 1/2 cup water In the bottom of the pan before baking for 20 mins!
- Add sliced avocado on top before serving.