Just one, two steps to veggie-loaded Italian Zucchini Boats stuffed with ground meat, onions, garlic, zucchini… and we can’t forget about cheese!! your fam or quarantine buddies will love this flavorful, simple to make dish.
your mission should you choose to accept it: brown your ground turkey/chicken/sausage/beef/pork, combine with veggies + marinara while the zucchinis roast on their own. then you’ll divvy up the mix between the boats, top with cheese and panko and bake for 20 minutes!
btw this recipe is totally customizable! I know we’re all trying to make due with whatever is in our fridges and freezers so use what you have – it will taste five-star no matter what meat you use. if you’re using pre-seasoned ground meat, just skip the oregano.
Italian Zucchini Boats
- 3 medium to large zucchinis
- 1 lb. ground turkey meat, (can sub ground beef or chicken)
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jar marinara sauce
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- ¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 6 tbs. grated or shredded parmesan cheese
- 6 tbs. panko bread crumbs
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- salt + pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. slice your zucchinis in half lengthwise and use a spoon to carefully scoop out flesh, setting aside. spray a pyrex/glass dish with cooking spray and set zucchini boats. roast for 10-12 minutes while you cook meat.
- In a medium skillet, heat 1-2 tbs. olive oil (less oil if you’re using sausage, pork or beef) and when warm, add in ground meat + season with salt + pepper. cook until no longer pink, then add onions, garlic, oregano (if using), chopped zucchini flesh and all but 1 cup of marinara sauce. stir together and bring to a boil, then lower to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pull zucchini boats from oven and carefully remove them from the dish. add in 1 cup of reserved marinara to the dish, then place zucchini back in. divide the meat mixture evenly between the zucchinis, placing extra filling in between. divide the shredded mozz, parmesan and panko between the six zucchinis, then place dish back into oven to cook for 20 minutes.
- Cheese should be golden and bubbly when ready! let the dish cool slightly before serving!