Farro, a nutty-flavored and fiber-rich grain, gets tossed with bursting roasted tomatoes, chopped kale, creamy burrata and a roasted garlic vinaigrette. You’ll love this hearty side!
I was unfamiliar with farro until recently, but after just a few bites it’s safe to say I’m hooked. It’s nutty, packed with fiber, slightly chewy like al dente pasta and is beyond simple to make. Check, check, check!
Watch a step-by-step video on how to make Roasted Tomato & Burrata Farro Salad on Instagram here!
Farro can totally lean into whatever flavors you mix it with (we love a chameleon grain) and in our case, it takes on the deliciousness of the sweet tomatoes and garlicky dressing. I added as much kale as farro… basically so I could call it a salad lol, and the kale really soaks up the vinaigrette as well, promise! Lastly, the burrata adds a delicate creaminess that pulls the whole dish together.
Here’s how you’ll make my Roasted Tomato and Burrata Farro Salad:
- Roast cherry tomatoes and garlic at 400º for 25 minutes.
- While tomatoes roast, start farro by bringing chicken broth to a boil.
- Add farro and lower heat to simmer. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Wash and chop kale, adding to your serving bowl.
- When garlic has roasted, chop it finely and add 1 tbsp. to bowl where you’ll make vinaigrette.
- Add all remaining ingredients for vinaigrette, whisking in oil last.
- Pour half of your vinaigrette over the kale and massage for 30 seconds.
- Drain farro and add it to your bowl.
- Add roasted tomatoes, remaining roasted garlic, and remaining vinaigrette.
- Toss well then top with pieces of burrata, salt and pepper!
We loved serving this side dish with our grilled and sliced NY Strip Steak (tips on how to cook the perfect steak here) but the farro would be delicious with chicken, as a side dish to halibut, pork chops, you name it!
Thank you for being an amazing reader of The Savvy Spoon! If you loved this post, I would so appreciate you rating it below and/or leaving a comment! Be sure to follow me on Instagram and Facebook for more recipes, twin mom and healthy lifestyle content!
Roasted Tomato & Burrata Farro Salad
- 1 cup farro rinsed well
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes rinsed
- 6 cloves garlic peeled & smashed
- 1 tbsp. avocado oil
- 1 tsp. kosher salt divided
- 1 tsp. black pepper divided
- 1 bunch green kale rinsed, stems removed
- 4 oz. burrata
roasted garlic vinaigrette
- 1 tbsp. dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tbsp. chopped roasted garlic* *included in farro recipe
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1 tbsp. water
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- On a sheet pan, place cherry tomatoes and smashed garlic cloves. Drizzle with 1 tbsp. avocado oil and toss to coat. Sprinkle on 1/2 tsp. of kosher salt and pepper each. When oven is ready, roast for 25 minutes on center rack.
- Meanwhile, make the farro: in a medium saucepan, bring 6 cups of chicken broth to a boil. Add rinsed farro to boiling broth then lower heat to simmer. Cook covered for 20 minutes or until farro is soft with a bite of texture. Drain but don't rinse.
- Chop your rinsed kale leaves finely then add to your serving bowl.
- When tomatoes and garlic have roasted, pull garlic out and chop finely. Add 1 tbsp. to a small bowl where you'll make your vinaigrette, reserving the rest.
- Finish your vinaigrette by combining all remaining ingredients, whisking in oil last.
- Drizzle half of the vinaigrette over the kale and massage to soften leaves.
- Add warm, drained farro, roasted tomatoes and remaining chopped roasted garlic to the bowl. Pour over remaining dressing and toss well.
- Top with pieces of torn burrata, 1/2 tsp. kosher salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Enjoy warm, room temperature or cool!