Guys, it’s HAWT. Like Venus hot.
The silver lining of quarantine was really getting to soak up the amazing spring weather Dallas has to offer… oftentimes it feels like we go from WAY TOO COLD to WAY TOO HOT but Dallas really does have some really pleasant months in between the two.
Unfortunately they’re gone. haha.
So now that the sun is incredibly close and here to stay through possibly November *cringe* we might as well embrace summer. And what better way to celebrate the longer days than with grilling?
Char on meat and vegetables is synonymous with summer and really helps to caramelize and concentrate flavor. But don’t panic if you’re without a grill — you can cook a steak perfectly on the stove! Pro tip: use the same pan to grill the corn for some extra charry steaky flavor.
This salad combines some of my favorite summer flavors like bright cherry tomatoes and grilled sweet corn with juicy seasoned steak and creamy gorgonzola. I added a little extra punchiness with prepared pesto and I would HIGHLY recommend – I love a good herby bite!!
So here’s how you’ll make the salad:
- Grill or cook the steak
- Grill or cook the corn cob
- Let steak rest and corn cool
- Toss everything together!
TIPS FOR MAKING GRILLED STEAK SUMMER SALAD
Steak is the superstar of this salad, so here are my favorite tips for cooking the perfect steak:
CUT: We always choose NY/KC Strip Steaks because of the light fat marbling – it’s a perfect balance of juicy flavor without feeling too greasy.
PRE-COOKING: Take the steak out of the refrigerator ONE HOUR before you are going to cook it and let it come to room temperature. I can’t stress this simple step enough! It’s like a warm-up for your steak that will help it perform even better on the grill.
SEASONING: We’ve been obsessed with The Ball Foods All-Purpose Seasoning lately but I promise all you reallllly need is kosher salt and pepper. Season well on both sides and press the s+p into the steak to help permeate.
COOKING: If you are grilling the steak and you’re using a NY Strip that’s about 1 1/2″ thick, plan to grill for about 8 minutes per side over flames. The key is to cook until the steak is about 135-140 degrees internally, because it will continue to cook once removed from the grill. Take off, tent with foil and let rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing.
If you are cooking on the stove top: Turn your overhead fan on. Heat a high-heat oil like vegetable or avocado over medium high heat. The pan and oil should be hot enough that you can’t hold your hand over top! Place your steak in the pan – it should sizzzzzle – and don’t touch! Let it cook for 2 minutes, then carefully flip and cook for another 2 minutes. THEN turn down the heat to low and cook for another 5 minutes, then flip and cook for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat, tent with foil and let rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing.
Grilled Steak Summer Salad
- 1 NY Strip Steak , about 1 1/2 inches thick with light marbling
- 2 cobs corn with husks on, yellow, white or combination
- 2 cups chopped kale leaves, ribs removed
- ½ pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese, can sub feta or goat cheese
- 2 tbs. prepared pesto
- olive oil
- kosher salt + pepper
- Prepare the steak by removing from refrigerator and placing onto counter. Let come to room temperature for 1 hour before grilling/cooking.
- Season steaks by drizzling lightly with olive oil and seasoning well with kosher salt and pepper on both sides.
- For the grill: Plan to grill for about 8 minutes per side over high heat, turning just once. The key is to cook until the steak is about 135-140 degrees internally, because it will continue to cook once removed from the grill. Take off, tent with foil and let rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile, grill corn with husks on for 3 minutes per side, rotating often. Then peel back the paper and let corn roast on grill for a few minutes to char.
- In a bowl, place chopped kale and drizzle on a few teaspoons of olive oil. Massage kale with hands to soften.
- Top kale with cherry tomatoes, grilled corn (cut off husks), sliced steak, crumbled gorgonzola and prepared pesto!