even the haters will say kale yeahhh to this easy weeknight salad!
I’m here to get you on board with dinosaur kale (it is dressed in spicy peanut dressing, after all)! also known as lacinato kale, this variety is a darker, heavier leaf lettuce that holds up wonderfully with a rich peanut dressing. massage the kale with the dressing and let it sit to “marinate” while you cook the steak – the salad leaves will soften just perfectly.
Kale + Seared Steak Salad with Peanut Dressing
- 1 New York strip steak, preferably organic brought to room temperature
- 2-3 tbs. olive oil for searing
- 3 cups lacinato "dinosaur" kale chopped, stems removed
- sliced avocado
- crushed roasted peanuts
- sesame seeds optional
for peanut dressing
- 3 tbs. creamy unsweetened peanut butter
- 3 tbs. rice wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 1 tbs. sesame oil
- 2 tsp. liquid aminos or soy sauce
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1 tsp. sriracha
- Whisk together ingredients for dressing in a big salad bowl, then add chopped kale. Toss with tongs, massaging the leaves, then set aside while you cook steak.
- Season the steak well with kosher salt and black pepper, pressing into meat on both sides. in a skillet over medium high heat, warm 2 tbs. olive oil and when hot, add in steak. cook for 2 minutes without moving, then flip and cook another 2 minutes. turn heat down to low and cook another 5 minutes, then flip and cook another 5 mins. remove from pan and let cool for 5-10 minutes before slicing.
- In salad bowls, divide tossed kale and top with sliced steak, sliced avocados + chopped peanuts!