Crunchy and juicy almond flour-encrusted morsels in a lemon caper sauce! Your dinner awaits…
Chicken Piccata is one of those dishes that feels classic yet never gets old. Thin chicken breasts breaded in crumbs and drizzled in a butter sauce… mmm you can almost hear the Frank Sinatra singing in the background!
My take on the Italian favorite is much lighter but just as flavorful. I used almond flour to keep the recipe grain (and gluten!) free and decided to cut up the chicken into bite-sized pieces so they cook even faster. This way you skip the breast pounding, dredging and breading altogether!
Here’s how you’ll make Grain-Free Chicken Piccata Nuggets:
- Cut up the chicken breasts into bite-sized 1″ pieces.
- Toss the chicken pieces in a mix of almond flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Cook the chicken in a skillet then remove to make the sauce in the same pan.
- Combine vinegar, chicken stock, lemon juice, garlic, capers and butter to create your sauce in less than 5 minutes!
TIPS FOR MAKING GRAIN-FREE CHICKEN PICCATA Nuggets
- Try to cut your chicken breasts up into pieces that are as close to the same size as possible so each piece cooks at the same rate.
- No egg is needed for the almond meal to stick to the chicken.
- You can swap almond flour for another grain-free alternative, or use corn starch for a similar coating.
I hope you enjoy these little bites as much as we did!
Grain-Free Chicken Piccata Nuggets
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts trimmed of fat
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tbs. olive oil or avocado oil
for lemon caper sauce:
- ½ cup white wine vinegar can sub champagne vinegar or regular vinegar
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tbs. butter or ghee
- 2 tbs. capers drained
- 1 tbs. olive oil or avocado oil
- juice from half a lemon plus slices for serving
- Start by cutting the chicken breasts up into bite-sized, 1" pieces.
- In a mixing bowl, use a whisk to combine the almond flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Add the chicken pieces into the flour mixture and toss to coat.
- In a large skillet, warm 2 tbs. olive oil then add in chicken. Let cook for 3-4 minutes before using tongs to flip, cooking the opposite side for another 3-4 minutes. Test to see if the chicken is cooked through by slicing into one piece; no pink should remain.
- Remove cooked chicken from pan and use a paper towel to carefully clean out any remaining crumbs.
- Make sauce by heating another 1 tbs. olive oil, then add minced garlic. Cook for one minute before adding vinegar, chicken stock and lemon juice. Let sauce simmer and cook down for 3-4 minutes before whisking in butter. Add chicken back to pan and top with capers and lemon slices!