Make these no-bake Coconut Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Protein Balls and have the easiest on-the-go snack ready to go in the fridge! Oats, peanut butter, flax meal, chia seeds, unsweetened coconut and chocolate chips are rolled together and drizzled with chocolate, keeping you full and satisfied for hours!
Do you love energy balls as much as we do? Full of feel-good ingredients, rolled together in 5-10 minutes and ready in the fridge for instant snacking, these bites are an all-time fave in our house!
Not only do these energy balls take just 5 minutes to roll together, but they’re even easier to eat. We love to snack on these for a light breakfast or to hold us over between meals — they always do the trick.
I usually use the same recipe of rolled oats, nut butter, honey and chia seeds and then I play with the add-ins to mix up each batch. You can change the flavors and ingredients based on what’s in the pantry at the time and make them feel like a whole new recipe — just like these Chocolate Protein Energy Balls, made chocolatey and rich with a little cacao powder.
Here’s what you’ll need for these Coconut Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Energy Balls:
- Rolled/Old Fashioned Oats – the base of our bites!
- Peanut Butter – the glue and a big source of protein
- Chia Seeds – for fiber!
- Honey – for sweetness and extra stickiness
- Flax Meal – for protein, fiber and omega-3s
- Unsweetened Coconut Flakes – for crunch and flavor
- Mini Chocolate Chips – for sweetness
- Melted Chocolate Chips + Coconut Oil – for drizzling
Make these your own however suits you! You can use gluten free oats, another nut butter, agave nectar in lieu of honey or even skip the chocolate chips for lower sugar.
Here’s how you’ll make Coconut Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Energy Balls:
- Combine all ingredients minus the chocolate chips in a bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Using a cookie scoop or round tablespoon, scoop mixture out and roll into ball. (Damp hands help the mixture stick less!)
- Place onto a cookie sheet or rack covered in parchment paper.
- Repeat to form all balls.
- Melt half of chocolate chips with 1 tbsp. coconut oil in double boiler.
- Drizzle melted chocolate over balls, then refrigerate!
The energy balls will keep for up to a week in an airtight container in the refrigerator, but good luck trying to keep any for longer than a few days… mine seem to disappear QUITE quickly whenever we make them!
Thank you for being an amazing reader of The Savvy Spoon! If you make this recipe and love it, I would so appreciate you rating it below and/or leaving a comment! Be sure to follow me on Instagram and Facebook for more recipes, workouts and lifestyle content!
Coconut Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Energy Balls
- 1½ cups old fashioned oats , also called rolled oats
- ⅓ cup creamy unsweetened peanut butter
- 4 tbsp. local honey
- 2 tbsp. ground flax meal
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds
- ¼ cup chopped toasted coconut flakes , unsweetened
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract, optional
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips
- 2 tsp. coconut oil
- In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except the mini chocolate chips. Use a rubber spatula or clean, damp hands to mix. If mixture feels to dry, add a little more peanut butter!
- Form balls by using a 1 1/2" cookie scoop or a round tablespoon. With damp hands, scoop out mixture then roll into a ball. Place onto cookie sheet or rack lined with parchment paper, then continue to form all balls.
- If adding chocolate drizzle, set up a saucepan with 2" of water over medium low heat. Place a glass mixing bowl in the pot, making sure the bottom of the bowl doesn't get too close to the water. Pour in 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips and coconut oil and stir occasionally with spatula until melted.
- Use a spoon to drizzle melted chocolate over energy balls! Let chocolate harden for 10 minutes or more before putting energy balls into airtight container and into refrigerator. Will keep for 1 week in fridge or up to two months in the freezer!