You’ll love this easy low carb dish — it’s garlicky, lemony and perfect for weeknights!
It has been a busy busy week couple of weeks around here and I have been LOVING how quickly dinner comes together when I cook with shrimp! It is such a low calorie protein (bonus points) and cooks stovetop in about 4-5 minutes. That’s crazy fast!
Spaghetti squash as I’m sure you know is also a wonderful low calorie, low carb food but you can say it’s a little more diva than shrimp — it takes 40 minutes to roast but then again, it’s totally hands free. We’ll chalk that up as a win.
When spaghetti squash roasts, you can scrape the sides of the veggie to create thin, kelp-like noodles that have a very mild flavor and great texture similar to angel hair — except one cup of spaghetti squash boasts 7g carbs and only 31 calories! Who’s the angel now!?
WATCH HOW TO ROAST SPAGHETTI SQUASH HERE:
Shrimp scampi is a dish where shrimp is sautéed in garlic, butter and lemon juice and typically tossed in noodles — simple to make and even easier to eat. There are only a couple of components to the dish: shrimp, butter, garlic, lemon, noodles, parmesan and herbs for freshness and color!
Put your squash in the oven, let it roast for 40 minutes and in the last 5 minutes of it’s timer, sauté the shrimp! You can either add the noodles to the butter sauce and toss everything together or you can top the squash with the shrimp and sauce. Enjoy!
Thank you for being an amazing reader of The Savvy Spoon! If you make this recipe and love it, I would so appreciate you rating it below. Be sure to follow me on Instagram and Facebook for more recipes, workouts and lifestyle content!
Spaghetti Squash Shrimp Scampi
- 1 lb. peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbs. ghee or butter
- ½ lemon, juice only
- ¼ cup white wine or chicken broth
- ¼ cup grated or shredded parmesan
- 1 handful chopped fresh parsley leaves
- salt and pepper
- Start by preheating oven to 400 degrees. Slice the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise (end to end) and scoop out seeds. Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and place cut side down onto a cooking sheet lined with foil. Place in oven and set timer for 40 minutes.
- In the last 5 minutes of the squash's roasting time, start shrimp by heating butter or ghee in a skillet over medium heat. Add shrimp in an even layer, seasoning with salt and pepper. Squeeze in lemon juice and add chicken broth and cook for 2 minutes.
- After two minutes, turn heat down slightly and flip shrimp over. Add garlic to pan and cook for another 2 minutes or until shrimp is completely pink. Remove from heat.
- When squash has finished roasting, flip over to cool quicker. Use a fork to scrape down the sides of the squash, creating noodles. Toss together with shrimp and parmesan, or plate squash then top with shrimp, sauce and cheese!