Swap up your typical sandwich with a bell pepper melt! Bell pepper halves serve as a low carb base for your stacked deli turkey, cheese and fixings!
There’s not a lot that we can all agree on these days but I’m going to put my neck out and say sandwiches are something we all hold dearly in our hearts.
We have sandwiches several times a week in the Atha house and for that exact reason I thought we’d try a low carb alternative that is actually crave-worthy. And because bread is so. damn. good. I knew we’d be fighting an uphill battle.
Or so I thought!!! These bell pepper melts are totally delicious and make for an easy bread substitute when you’re looking to lighten up your meal — not to mention bell peppers are rich in antioxidants and vitamin C.
Don’t get me wrong — I’m not trying to convince you that the peppers *taste* like bread. I haven’t fully lost it. BUT when baked they soften while keeping a hearty texture, they’re slightly sweet and divine when topped with sammy favorites like hummus, mustard, turkey, jalapeños and cheese!
Here’s how you’ll make your Bell Pepper Turkey Melts:
- Slice your peppers in half through the core + stem.
- Scoop out seeds and discard.
- Spoon in your favorite condiments.
- Top with deli turkey, any toppings and a slice of cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 400 degrees!
We served our melts with a cup of Creamy Butternut Squash, Carrot + Ginger Soup and the flavor combination was so on point — vinegary mustard, creamy fall-flavored soup, herby turkey and melty cheese… insane.
Thank you for being an amazing reader of The Savvy Spoon! If you make this recipe and love it, I would so appreciate you rating it below and/or leaving a comment! Be sure to follow me on Instagram and Facebook for more recipes, workouts and lifestyle content!
Bell Pepper Turkey Melts
- 2 red bell peppers sliced in half from core to stem
- 8-12 slices thin cut deli turkey
- 4 slices thin cut deli cheese like pepper jack, havarti or provolone
- 4 tbsp. hummus any variety
- 4 tsp. spicy mustard
optional melt toppings
- sliced jalapeños, yellow pepper rings, pickles, etc.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice bell peppers from core through the stem to create 4 halves. Scoop out seeds, stem and pith and discard.
- Spoon in 1 tbs. of hummus into each bell pepper and use a spoon to smooth into an even layer. Add mustard into each and do the same.
- Stack in 2-3 pieces of thinly sliced deli turkey into each bell pepper. Top each pepper with desired toppings, then lay cheese slice on top. Place onto sheet pan lined with foil.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden. Let cool slightly before serving!