Chicken sausage, spinach and rich ricotta cheese are wrapped in boiled lasagna noodles then topped with a fragrant and slightly sweet pumpkin sauce!
As if lasagna needed any more reasons to be delicious.
But when you combine juicy chicken sausage, rich ricotta cheese and fresh spinach with al dente noodles and a pumpkin-based pasta sauce, you might feel like you’re taking your lasagna to the next level. And that’s okay! The OG lasagna rolls will always hold a special place in our hearts.
Think of these rolls less as a revamp and more of another way to eat lasagna with a little fall harvest spin. Not to mention their perfectly individually portioned and make for one pretty presentation! You can feed a crowd and have fun creating your little masterpieces. Now let’s get to work!
These pumpkin lasagna rolls are made of:
- Ground chicken sausage
- Sautéed onions
- Whole milk ricotta
- Fresh spinach
- Whole wheat lasagna noodles
- Parmesan cheese
- Creamy pumpkin sauce
More on the Creamy Pumpkin Sauce! I have a feeling you’ll be looking for more ways to work this into your pasta rotation. In lieu of tomatoes, you’ll use canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie!) to create a rich and hearty base. The sauce is made creamy with a little unsweetened almond milk and thickened by a butter + gluten free flour roux. For flavor you’ll add in onions, garlic and thyme! It’s so, so fragrant.
Here’s how you’ll make the Pumpkin Lasagna Rolls:
- Brown chicken sausage.
- Sauté onions + garlic for stuffing.
- Mix sausage, onions + garlic and spinach with ricotta cheese.
- Boil lasagna noodles so they’re nice and bendy.
- Meanwhile, make the Creamy Pumpkin Sauce.
- Put a little sauce on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Roll noodles stuffed with ricotta mixture.
- Top with more sauce + cheese.
- Bake then serve!
Don’t be intimidated by the number of steps! I promise they’re all simple and you can do a lot of them at the same time. For instance the noodles will boil at the same time you’re making the creamy sauce, then once everything is rolled you’ll bake in the oven and relax. Maybe throw on some Hocus Pocus… too soon!?
Thank you for being an amazing reader of The Savvy Spoon! If you make this recipe and love it, I would so appreciate you rating it below and/or leaving a comment! Be sure to follow me on Instagram and Facebook for more recipes, workouts and lifestyle content!
Pumpkin Lasagna Rolls
- 10 uncooked lasagna noodles , I used whole wheat
- 1 lb. ground chicken sausage , or 4 links, casings removed
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15-oz. container whole milk ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves, chopped
- olive oil for sautéing
pumpkin pasta sauce
- 1 15-oz. can pure pumpkin puree
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 tbsp. butter or ghee
- 1 tbsp. gluten free flour
- 1 cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil over high heat. When boiling, add two lasagna noodles at a time and cook until soft and bendy, about 4-5 minutes. Place cooked noodles onto a sheet pan then continue to cook two noodles at a time.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp. olive oil over medium heat in a skillet. When warm, add ground chicken sausage and cook until browned, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from pan and add to a large mixing bowl.
- In the same skillet, warm another 1 tbsp. olive oil then add 1/2 onion, diced and 2 minced garlic cloves. Cook until soft, then add to mixing bowl with browned sausage. Mix in chopped spinach and season with salt and pepper.
- In the same skillet, warm another 1 tbsp. olive oil then add 1/2 onion, diced and 2 minced garlic cloves. Cook until soft, then add in butter to melt. Whisk in gluten free flour to create a roux, then add almond milk in splashes. Once all milk has been added, stir in pumpkin puree and season with salt, pepper and thyme.
- In a round baking dish, spray cooking spray and spoon in 1/2 cup of pumpkin sauce.
- On a work surface, lay one lasagna noodle down. Take a couple spoonfuls of ricotta mixture and lay onto noodle, leaving about 3-4 inches of noodle without mixture. Take one end and gently roll to end. Lay on its side in baking dish. Repeat for all noodles.
- Top lasagna rolls with remaining sauce and grated parmesan cheese.
- Place dish into preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes or until golden and bubbling. Let cool slightly before serving!