Make your own crispy shell tacos in minutes without any frying! These beef tacos are flavored with chipotle peppers for a smokey twist then baked to perfection in the oven.
Oven crisped taco shells strike again!
A while back I posted these Oven Baked Crispy Beef Tacos and I’ve been looking to recreate them with a new flavor profile — enter: chipotle peppers.
Chipotle peppers are smoked and dried jalapeños in a tomato-based sauce that add a slightly spicy, earthy richness to the tender beef that you’ll love. Add gooey melted cheese and fresh elements like iceberg lettuce and quick pickled red onions and you have the perfect juxtaposition of hot & chilled, spicy and cool.
To create the tacos, you’ll spray them lightly with cooking spray then drape them over your oven rack to shape. After 10 minutes or so, you’ll have your crispy, crunchy hard shell!
FOR PERFECT OVEN BAKED CRISPY TACO SHELLS…
- Preheat oven to 400º degrees.
- Spray your tortillas lightly with cooking spray on one side.
- Drape tortillas oil side down over 1 grate for skinnier tacos, 2 grates for wider tacos that self-stand.
- Bake for 10 minutes then carefully remove!
Once you have the taco shells down, you’ll fill them up with chipotle beef and cheese then bake again for a few minutes to melt. Top with lettuce, jalapeños, quick pickled red onions and you have yourself one delicious dinner in less than 30 minutes!
Here’s how you’ll make these Crispy Baked Chipotle Beef Tacos:
- Bake crispy taco shells, then leave oven on at 400º degrees.
- In a skillet, heat olive oil then sauté diced onion and garlic.
- Stir in ground beef cook until meat is no longer pink.
- Stir in adobo sauce and chopped chipotle peppers.
- Drain fat, sprinkle in taco seasoning and add water. Bring to a simmer.
- Divide the filling between each taco shell, adding a generous amount.
- Sprinkle with cheese then bake for 10 minutes.
- Top with lettuce and pickled red onions if using!
I hope you enjoy these Crispy Baked Chipotle Beef Tacos! Make sure you’re following me on Instagram where I posted a step-by-step Reels video of this recipe 🙂 Cheers!
Thank you for being an amazing reader of The Savvy Spoon! If you make this recipe and love it, I would so appreciate you rating it below and/or leaving a comment! Be sure to follow me on Instagram and Facebook for more recipes, workouts and lifestyle content!
Crispy Baked Chipotle Beef Tacos
- 8 taco-sized tortillas I liked low carb whole wheat flour for this recipe
- 1 lb. lean ground beef organic if possible
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 can chipotle peppers in adobe sauce chipotle peppers chopped finely
- 1 packet taco seasoning gluten free if desired
- 1 cup Mexican blend shredded cheese
- shredded lettuce, sliced jalapeño, quick pickled red onions (recipe in notes below)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray tortillas one side with cooking spray.
- Drape tortillas sprayed-side down over 1 oven grate for skinnier tacos, 2 grates for wider tacos that self-stand and bake for 10 minutes. Remove carefully from oven with tongs.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in a skillet with deeper sides then add in diced onion. Cook for 2-3 minutes then add minced garlic and ground beef, breaking up with spoon.
- Cook ground beef until almost no longer pink. Take pan off heat and carefully drain fat, then add in chopped chipotle peppers and the adobo sauce.
- Back on medium heat, sprinkle in packet of taco seasoning with 1/2 cup water. Stir to combine and bring to a boil, then lower heat to simmer.
- Spray or line a baking dish with aluminum foil. Take one baked taco shell and stuff generously with chipotle beef. Place into dish then continue with the rest of the shells. Top with about 2 tbsp. shredded cheese for each taco.
- Bake tacos for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and gooey! Top with desired toppings and serve warm!