This week while you’re staying in and hunkering down, whip up a pot of my Vegan Broccoli Cheddar Soup that tastes rich and hearty like the real deal!
I used my vegan mac and cheese recipe to swirl in with the mild broccoli soup to create an absolutely creamy dream. I promise your family won’t ever think (or need to know haha) that it’s fully vegan!
You’ll make the broccoli soup and the “cheese” sauce separately then mix altogether for a creamy, velvety soup full of veggies that only tastes SO decadent.
Vegan Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 1 head broccoli chopped into florets
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 3 carrots peeled and sliced
- 2 small yellow potatoes quartered
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth can sub chicken broth if not vegan
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 3 tbs. nutritional yeast
- ½ lemon juiced
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
- Start by 2 tbs. olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat. when warm, add 1/2 of diced yellow onion and sauté until soft, about 5 mins. add in broccoli florets, 1 diced yellow potato and minced garlic and cook another 3-5 minutes. season with salt and pepper, then add vegetable or chicken stock and bring to a boil. turn heat down to simmer.
- Place cashews into a small bowl and cover with water to soak.
- Separately in a small sauce pan, place other 1/2 of diced yellow onion, carrots and 1 yellow potato and cover with water. cover with lid and bring to a boil. when veggies are soft, about 6-8 minuets, take off heat and let cool slightly before adding veggies to blender. add in nutritional yeast, drained soaked cashews, coconut milk, lemon juice, cayenne pepper, a tsp. each of salt + pepper and 3/4 cup of water from sauce pan. blend (holding blender top down). taste for seasoning and then pour into bowl, rinsing our blender.
- Next, blend broccoli soup. blend a few cups at a time, putting creamy blended soup into another bowl. continue to blend and then add blended soup back to the pot. swirl in cheese sauce and mix to blend. serve warm!