FIVE INGREDIENT DINNER ALERT.
Creamy, savory, CHEEEEEESY pasta — need I say more?
Well I probably don’t need to but I will because this is pasta we’re talking about. There’s a lot of great things to say.
I always thought carbonara was a little intimidating because I didn’t realllly understand how you make a sauce out of eggs? But thanks to Jessica at How Sweet Eats I learned that mixing eggs and cheese in warm pasta creates an unbelievably creamy and cheesy sauce without any extra cream!! The eggs cook slowly and tenderly and turn into a silky, rich sauce that tastes like heaven.
Oh and the brussels?? I just love them shaved because they get extra tender and take on the savory flavor of the carbonara. Just pick out big, tough leaves and save yourself any extra chopping.
So here’s the plan for our 5 Ingredient Brussels Sprouts Carbonara:
- Boil the pasta, reserve the water.
- Sauté the shaved brussels and then your diced chicken.
- Whisk eggs and cheese together in a separate bowl.
- Toss everything together off heat to create your silky smooth sauce!
I love a little EXTRA cheese on top for a nice salty bite. Hope you enjoy!
5 Ingredient Brussels Sprouts Carbonara
- 1 lb. spaghetti, I used Banza chickpea pasta
- 2 cups shaved brussels sprouts
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced into 1" pieces
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- olive oil
- salt + pepper
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Season water with salt and cook pasta according to package directions! Reserve pasta water once pasta has cooked by pouring 2 cups into a measuring cup or vessel.
- Meanwhile, heat a sauté pan over medium heat and add 1 tbs. olive oil. When warm, add brussels sprouts and cook until soft and golden, about 5 minutes. Place cooked sprouts on a plate and set aside.
- In the same pan, heat 1 tbs. olive oil and when warm, add diced chicken. Season pieces with salt and pepper and cook until no longer pink, about 5-6 minutes.
- In a small bowl, beat two eggs. Add in grated parmesan to the eggs and mix to combine.
- Once chicken has cooked, add brussels sprouts and cooked pasta to the pan and remove from heat. Add in egg/parmesan cheese mixture and 1 cup reserved pasta water. Right away, use a wooden spoon or tongs to mix together in a circular motion to create your sauce! Add more pasta water as needed, adding 1/4 cup at a time.
- Season with 1 tsp. salt and pepper each and top with more grated parmesan! Enjoy warm.