These Mediterranean-inspired bowls made of juicy, marinated chicken, naturally gluten free quinoa, a Greek chopped veggie salad and easy tzatziki sauce come together in just 30 minutes — including the marinating time!
Get ready to sink your teeth into a bowl of deliciousness!
These Greek-inspired chicken shawarma bowls are healthy while still bursting with flavor. You can use the elements of my bowl as a basis for whatever concoction you want to make, or follow the recipe to a T… you really cannot go wrong! With such fresh, bright flavors from the paprika-spiced chicken, creamy cucumber-based tzatziki sauce and slightly vinegary garbanzo bean chopped salad, you’ll feel transported to the Mediterranean bite after bite.
I haven’t shared a bowl recipe with you in awhile but it is the MOST common way that Ty and I eat our dinners! There’s something about a low bowl that food just tastes better out of. There’s a whole theory on why everything is tastier out of a bowl, lol! Maybe it’s because you can mix everything together aesthetically and enjoy ALL the flavors of the bowl ALL at once.
What is Chicken Shawarma?
Traditional Chicken Shawarma consists of thin slices of chicken that is marinated with spices and slow roasted on a vertical rotisserie, creating juicy, flavorful meat. It is most commonly served as street food in the Middle East either in a pita or wrap!
I’m using this Juicy, Greek-inspired Chicken recipe to harness all the flavors of traditional shawarma in a sped-up, weeknight, stove top version!
There are a couple elements to this Mediterranean bowl but each are easy to prepare and can be customized to your specific liking:
- Protein — our paprika & lemon juice marinated chicken
- Grains — in this case we’re using naturally gluten free quinoa
- Salad — this chopped salad consists of traditional & non-traditional Greek ingredients like garbanzo beans, shallots, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, feta cheese, dill, basil and red wine vinegar
- Sauce — creamy Greek yogurt & cucumber-based tzatziki sauced
- Toppings — up to you but we loved the flavor profile of the creamy sliced avocado, pickled red onions and crumbled feta cheese
Here’s how you’ll make my 30-Minute Chicken Shawarma Bowls:
- Marinate diced chicken for 10 minutes.
- Cook quinoa stovetop.
- Meanwhile, chop ingredients for chopped salad and dress with oil & vinegar.
- Cook chicken stovetop – will take only 4-5 minutes.
- While chicken rests, make tzatziki sauce and prepare toppings.
- Assemble bowls and enjoy!
If you have leftovers of anything….
— Use leftover chicken on salads, in wraps, or in a pita
— Use leftover quinoa to add heartiness to salads
— Use leftover tzatziki sauce to dip cucumbers, baby carrots or chips into like you would hummus
— Leftover chopped salad will save in refrigerator without lettuce to worry about getting soggy!
Thank you for being an amazing reader of The Savvy Spoon! If you loved this post, I would so appreciate you rating it below and/or leaving a comment! Be sure to follow me on Instagram and Facebook for more recipes, twin mom and healthy lifestyle content!
30-Minute Chicken Shawarma Bowls
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts trimmed and diced evenly into cubes
- 3 tbsp. olive or avocado oil divided
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small shallot peeled and minced
- 1 tbsp. dried oregano
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- juice of one lemon
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup chicken broth
garbanzo bean chopped salad
- 1/2 15-oz. can garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/2 english cucumber peeled and diced
- 1 small shallot peeled and minced
- 2 tbsp. feta cheese crumbles
- 1 tbsp. chopped dill
- 1 tbsp. chopped basil
- drizzle of olive or avocado oil
- drizzle of red wine vinegar
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 english cucumber peeled and grated
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- sliced avocado, pickled red onions, feta cheese
- Start by marinating chicken: dice chicken into 1" cubes, trimming of any extra fat or cartilage. Place into a ziplock bag and add 2 tbsp. of oil. Add remaining ingredients listed under "chicken shawarma" and toss to coat. Place into refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook quinoa: rinse quinoa under water in a fine-mesh sieve, then add to a small pot. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, lower heat to simmer and cook until fluffy, about 15 minutes.
- Chop ingredients for salad: In a bowl, combine all ingredients for the garbanzo bean chopped salad. Toss gently to coat and taste for seasonings, adjusting as needed. Set aside.
- Cook chicken: In a nonstick skillet over medium heat, warm 1 tbsp. oil. When warmed, add in diced chicken into one even layer. After a few minutes, gently stir chicken and cook until no longer pink, about 5 or so minutes. Let chicken rest for a few minutes before enjoying.
- While chicken cooks, make tzatziki: wrap grated cucumber into a kitchen towel and squeeze out excess liquid before adding it to a small bowl. Combine with greek yogurt, minced garlic, salt and pepper and set aside.
- Assemble bowls: To each bowl add about 1/3 cup of chicken, 1/3 cup of quinoa, 1/3 cup of garbanzo bean salad, a couple tablespoons of tzatziki sauce and any toppings you're using. Enjoy!