The way to get all of your greens without knowing you’re eating any at all.
This pesto pasta with pease is a healthier spin on a classic Barefoot Contessa recipe. I love adding greens wherever I can and this time it’s into our pasta, giving us a real pasta SALAD energy. There’s so much plant-powered goodness in this pasta you won’t even know what hit you!
Not only is this dish visually vibrant, but it is bursting with flavor. Rich and herby pesto, bright and citrusy lemon, and a kick of parmesan mask the fact that you’re getting more than a whole serving of vegetables with this meal. Plus, if you want to make this recipe even healthier, you can sub regular pasta for gluten free or chickpea pasta for an added protein boost.
You can watch a step-by-step video of this recipe on The Savvy Spoon Instagram here!
Here’s how you’ll make my Pesto Pasta with Peas:
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Place pease in a mesh sieve and submerge into boiling pasta water for 1 minute, then remove.
- Once pasta has cooked, drain and add to a serving bowl.
- Immediately add pesto into warm pasta and toss to keep noodles from getting sticky.
- Add in remaining ingredients (including the cooked peas) and toss to combine.
- Enjoy warm or at room temperature!
Thank you for being an amazing reader of The Savvy Spoon! If you loved this post, I would so appreciate you rating it below and/or leaving a comment! Be sure to follow me on Instagram and Facebook for more recipes, twin mom and healthy lifestyle content!
Pesto Pasta with Peas
- 1 lb chickpea or GF pasta
- 1/2 cup prepared pesto one that's refrigerated, if possible
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 cup english peas fresh or frozen
- 1/4 cup toasted pinenuts
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- juice from 1/2 a lemon
- kosher salt and pepper
- Start by boiling pasta. Cook according to package.
- Place peas into a mesh sieve and submerge into boiling pasta water for 1 minute, then remove.
- Once pasta has cooked to al dente, drain and only rinse if the package instructs you too. Add to a serving bowl.
- Immediately add pesto into warm pasta and toss to keep noodles from getting sticky. Add in remaining ingredients (including the cooked peas) and toss to combine.
- Enjoy warm or served room temperature! Will also keep in refrigerator for 3 days.