This recipe is a skinnier version of Nobu’s famous fried rock shrimp appetizer that’s typically fried and doused in a creamy spicy mayo-based sauce. Our version is baked and uses Greek yogurt, sriracha and sesame oil to create a healthier, yet still drool-worthy copycat!
Nobu is the kind of restaurant that just doesn’t get old.
No matter how many times we go — or what city we treat ourselves in — they always, always get the food right. Their dishes are classic and the Rock Shrimp Tempura with Creamy Spicy Sauce is no exception!
This dish is an absolute *must order* on our list whenever we get the opportunity to eat at a Nobu concept — the extra crispy but light tempura battered rock shrimp (that are bite sized and innately adorable) is tossed in a creamy, spicy sauce and served hot. The shrimp basically melts in your mouth!
My take on this famous dish is healthier because we’ll bake the shrimp (instead of deep frying in oil) and the creamy sauce is Greek yogurt-based instead of mayonnaise, making it naturally lower in calories and higher in protein. That’s not to say that we’re scrimping on flavor though!
I used frozen rock shrimp that I found pre-coated in a low calorie, gluten-free batter from Whole Foods – linking here! If you can’t find near you, I’ve included a simple tempura coating that I found on Nobu’s website in the recipe below.
In addition to the coating, each quarter-sized rock shrimp is then seasoned with paprika, kosher salt and pepper adding a ton of savoriness to each bite. The golden, baked shrimp are then finished off with a tossing of our skinny creamy sauce — you’ll think you’re sitting next to the Kardashians at Nobu Malibu in no time.
Here’s how you’ll make the Skinny Crispy Rock Shrimp:
- In a bowl, toss coated rock shrimp with cooking spray, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Lay on a baking sheet and cook for 10 minutes at 400 degrees.
- While shrimp bakes, stir together sauce ingredients.
- After 10 minutes, pull baking sheet out, flip shrimp over, then cook for 10 more minutes.
- Pull the shrimp out of the oven and immediately toss in the skinny creamy spicy sauce.
- Top with green onions and serve warm over lettuce or with rice!
I served our rock shrimp with my 5 Minute Cauliflower Fried Rice and some mixed greens for dinner, but this would obviously make for a delicious appetizer served on its own. I hope you enjoy!
more shrimp recipes from The Savvy Spoon:
- Sheet Pan Kung Pao Shrimp
- Spaghetti Squash Shrimp Scampi
- Teriyaki Shrimp and Pineapple Kebabs
- Garlic Shrimp Diablo
- Sheet Pan Lemon Shrimp and Gnocchi
- Ginger Shrimp, Soba Noodle + Spinach Salad
Thank you for being an amazing reader of The Savvy Spoon! If you make this recipe and love it, I would so appreciate you rating it below and/or leaving a comment! Be sure to follow me on Instagram and Facebook for more recipes, workouts and lifestyle content!
Skinny Crispy Rock Shrimp
- 1 lb. frozen rock shrimp I used pre-coated "Boom Boom Shrimp" by Royal Asia, found at Whole Foods
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- cooking spray
creamy spicy sauce
- ½ cup greek yogurt I used 2%
- 2 tsp. sriracha sauce or chili garlic sauce
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- ¼ lemon juice only
optional tempura batter (for uncoated rock shrimp)
- 1 egg yolk
- ¾ cup iced water
- ½ cup all purpose or gluten free all purpose flour
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- If making tempura batter, whisk all ingredients together well.
- For tempura shrimp: In a bowl, place dethawed rock shrimp and toss with paprika, salt and pepper. Then place shrimp into tempura batter and toss. In another bowl, place panko bread crumbs. With tongs, take a few battered rock shrimp and place into the crumbs to coat. On a sheet pan sprayed well with cooking spray, arrange shrimp into one even layer.For pre-coated shrimp: In a bowl, spray frozen shrimp well with cooking spray. Toss coated rock shrimp with paprika, salt and pepper. On a sheet pan sprayed well with cooking spray, arrange shrimp into one even layer.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl mix together ingredients for the creamy spicy sauce, whisking in the sesame oil. Set aside.
- After 10 minutes in the oven, remove sheet pan and using tongs, flip over each shrimp. Bake for another 10 minutes.
- After another 10 minutes in the oven, remove shrimp from pan and gently place into the large bowl with the creamy sauce. Toss carefully to coat. Top with green onions and serve immediately!