Seasoned lean ground beef, onions and red bell peppers are stuffed into a soft mashed sweet potato then topped with salsa, lettuce, cheese and créma!
Let’s spice up your life!
Do you LOVE sweet potatoes?
Because I haven’t always, that is for sure. But I’m coming around!
Even though I consider myself someone who LOVES sweets, sometimes they’re just too sweet for me!!
I need sweet potatoes to be savory to be even remotely enticing. The brown sugar and cinnamon just doesn’t do it for me (in this case). Throw that in some coffee and yes yes yes! But not on taters.
So let’s taco bout these yams! Taco seasoned lean ground beef and fresh toppings are layered onto a softened mashed sweet potato. We’re talking almost instant dinner.
But sweet potatoes take 45 minutes to roast!?!??? Except when you microwave them. I know, I know… I was reluctant too. But when I gave the microwave a shot I realized just how underutilized it is! Our sweet potatoes were ready in under 10 minutes and tasted divine.
Here’s how you’ll make these Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes:
- Cook sweet potatoes in microwave.
- Meanwhile, brown ground beef with onions and red bell pepper.
- Season with taco seasoning packet and simmer.
- Mash potatoes slightly then layer on beef mixture.
- Top with shredded lettuce, cheese and lime créma!
I’ve included instructions on how to cook the sweet potatoes in the oven as well. Feel free to swap the ground beef for chicken or turkey — just lower the cook time!
Thank you for being an amazing reader of The Savvy Spoon! If you loved this post, I would so appreciate you rating it below and/or leaving a comment! Be sure to follow me on Instagram and Facebook for more recipes, twin mom and healthy lifestyle content!
Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 2 sweet potatoes pricked with a fork
- 1 lb. lean ground beef organic if possible
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- ½ cup chunky red salsa like Pace
- ½ packet gluten free taco seasoning
- 1 cup 0% or 2% greek yogurt
- lime juice
- shredded iceberg lettuce
- shredded mexican blend cheese
- sliced jalapeños
- In a microwave, place sweet potatoes onto a plate and cook for 2.5 minutes. Flip over, then cook for another 2.5 minutes. If not fork tender, continue to cook 1 minute at a time, flipping each minute.In an oven: set temperature to 400 degrees. Place pricked sweet potatoes onto a sheet pan and roast until fork tender, about 40 minutes.
- In a nonstick pan, heat 1 tbsp. olive oil then add in lean ground beef. Cook until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Drain fat.
- In the same pan, add diced onions and red peppers. Sauté for a few minutes to soften before adding taco seasoning and salsa. Add 1/2 cup of water and bring pan to a boil. Lower heat and let simmer until sauce has reduced, about 3-5 minutes.
- Chop any other toppings for sweet potatoes. Make lime créma by mixing together greek yogurt and lime juice until smooth.
- Once sweet potatoes have cooked, mash lightly with a fork then top with a scoop of the meat mixture. Top with desired toppings like shredded lettuce, shredded cheese and créma!