Chicken pot pie screams “comfort food” but is not usually considered light or waistline-friendly — until now! This soup combines the best flavors and ingredients of a chicken pot pie in a broth base made creamier with a gluten free roux and nut milk. Skip the pie crust topping and opt for 10 minute drop biscuit croutons instead!
Spooky season might be over but soup season has JUST begun.
There’s nothing more comforting than a warm bowl of chunky soup that heats you to the core and actually fills you up!
I love chicken noodle soup as much as the next girl, but sometimes it can be a little toooooo standard. This Skinny Chicken Pot Pie soup has some classic elements of a chicken noodle soup like shredded chicken, tons of veggies and an herby chicken broth, but this version subs out the noodles for drop biscuit croutons and a thicker, more luscious broth. You might want to bathe in this!
Here’s the scoop on how to make Skinny Chicken Pot Pie Soup:
- Sauté onions, carrots, celery and garlic until soft.
- Create roux (to thicken soup) by stirring in butter and gluten free flour to veggies.
- Add in mushrooms, thyme leaves, rosemary leaves and chicken broth.
- Bring a boil then lower to simmer, letting flavors fuse together.
- Make soup creamy by adding in your favorite nut milk.
- Add rotisserie chicken in before serving!
- Make drop biscuits by combining gluten free flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and milk. Drop biscuits onto sheet pan using ice cream scoop and bake for 10 minutes.
- Top soup with a biscuit or two and dive in!
This soup has richness, creaminess and heartiness and will leave you feeling happily satiated without feeling stuffed! I hope you enjoy 🙂
Thank you for being an amazing reader of The Savvy Spoon! If you make this recipe and love it, I would so appreciate you rating it below and/or leaving a comment! Be sure to follow me on Instagram and Facebook for more recipes, workouts and lifestyle content!
Skinny Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 celery ribs , sliced lengthwise then diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. gluten free flour
- 1 cup baby bella mushrooms, chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup plain nut milk, I used almond milk
- 1 large rotisserie chicken breast, shredded
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh thyme leaves, stems discarded
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary leaves, stems discarded
drop biscuit croutons
- 1 cup gluten free flour
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- ⅛ tsp. baking soda
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 pinch sugar
- ½ cup plain nut milk
- 2 tbsp. melted butter
for drop biscuits
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix together all biscuit ingredients. Use a 2" ice cream scoop to form biscuits and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (or greased well with cooking spray). Do not press down.
- Bake biscuits for 15 minutes or until slightly golden on top!
for skinny chicken pot pie soup
- Heat 2 tbsp. butter in a deep sided pot or dutch oven over medium heat.
- When butter has melted, add onions, carrots and celery. Season with 1 tsp. salt and pepper each then cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook another 1 minute.
- Sprinkle in 2 tbsp. gluten free flour over veggies and stir to create roux. Add in mushrooms, thyme and rosemary and let cook for 2 minutes.
- Add in chicken stock and bring to a boil. Lower heat to simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, add in shredded rotisserie chicken. Taste for seasoning and add salt/pepper as needed. Add in nut milk and stir to combine.
- Serve in big bowls and top with 1-2 drop biscuit croutons!