I’m so excited to share with you my Guy’s Grocery Games winning recipe for vegan nacho cheese! Using a couple simple vegetables, cashews and nutritional yeast, you’ll create a creamy, spicy sauce perfect for game day!
WOW did I have the absolute best time competing on Guy’s Grocery Games twice during their “food fanatics” (aka home chefs!) championship! One of the most requested recipes from my two episodes is my vegan cheese sauce — which Rocco DiSpirito called “the best he’s ever had”!!!!! I mean, he knocked my socks off with that compliment. But it really is that damn good!
I know what you’re thinking… HOW could vegan, non dairy cheese taste as good as the real creamy thing?! There’s no way! I promise you, this blend of veggies, cashews, nutritional yeast and spices transforms into the most insanely delicious, creamy, gooey cheese sauce that you could fool even the most anti-vegan palate with 🙂
Not only can you use this cheese sauce for nachos, but it makes for an absurdly good vegan mac and cheese. Just tone down the cayenne and voila! You have a vegan mac and cheese that you can feel good about inhaling!
Here’s how you’ll make Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce:
- In a medium saucepan, bring a pot of water to a boil then add carrots and potato. Boil until tender.
- Meanwhile, soak 1 cup of raw cashews in hot water.
- In a blender, add boiled veggies, soaked cashews, nutritional yeast, garlic, lemon juice and seasonings.
- Blend until smooth!
Thank you for being an amazing reader of The Savvy Spoon! If you make this recipe and love it, I would so appreciate you rating it below and/or leaving a comment! Be sure to follow me on Instagram and Facebook for more recipes and healthy lifestyle content!
Vegan Nacho Cheese from Guy’s Grocery Games
- 2 carrots peeled and cut into thirds
- 1 small yukon gold potato quartered
- 2 cloves garlic smashed
- 1 cup raw cashews
- juice from 1/2 a lemon
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 cup reserved boiling water
- Place cashews in a bowl and cover them with hot water to soak. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, add carrot & potato and bring to a boil. Let cook until tender, about 8-10 minutes.
- Once vegetables have tenderized, use a slotted spoon to add them to the bowl of a blender. Add minced garlic, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, cayenne, salt, pepper and 1 cup of the water used to boil the vegetables. Drain the cashews from their bowl and add them to the blender.
- Place kitchen towel over blender top and hold down while blending until smooth and creamy. Taste for seasonings, adjusting salt if needed. Enjoy immediately.