One pot baked Greek chicken with plum tomatoes, kalamata olives, feta and veggie-based Right Rice!
I love any one pot or pan recipe because let’s be honest, sometimes I’m just TIRED. There’s no shortage of stress stemming from a global pandemic, polarizing politics, racial injustice, uncertainty about the future and cancelled plans (just to name a few things hah) and sometimes I feel the weight of the world heavier than other days. One pot or pan recipes help to streamline your cooking experience and make cleaning up a cinch so you can get to eating and ultimately, relaxing.
This one pot dish might just become your new staple: it is so rich in flavor and has all the comforting elements of a home cooked meal from mama but with lightened up ingredients! Paprika-spiced chicken is pan seared then braised in the pot with chicken broth, whole plum tomatoes, garlic and herbs! Less pans, less prep, more yum.
Have you tried Right Rice yet? It is DIVINE. By far the best veggie-based rice substitute I’ve taste tested yet with such a similar texture to rice that you very well could fool your guests (or spouses, ehm!). It gets stirred into the boiling chicken broth and tomatoes and bakes along with the chicken.
Here’s how you’ll make the One Pot Mediterranean Chicken and Rice:
- Season the chicken breasts with paprika, salt + pepper
- Sear each side of the chicken breasts, then remove from pan.
- Sauté onions, red bell pepper + garlic before adding chicken broth + whole tomatoes.
- Stir in the Right Rice, nestle back in the chicken breasts and bake for 15 minutes!
- Top with sliced kalamata olives, feta cheese and fresh parsley!
I hope you enjoy! We will be putting this easy meal on rotation. Stay well and remember it’s okay to not be okay every day.
One Pot Mediterranean Chicken and Rice (grain free!)
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of fat
- 4 tsp. paprika
- 4 tsp. salt
- 4 tsp. pepper
- 3 tbs. olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28-oz. can whole plum tomatoes
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- 1 package Right Rice , any flavor (see chef's note)
- ¾ cup pitted kalamata olives, halved
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Season chicken breasts on both sides with 1 tsp. paprika, 1 tsp. salt + 1 tsp. pepper each.
- In a dutch oven or deep sided pot, warm 2 tbs. olive oil over medium heat. When warm, place chicken breasts "pretty side" down in pot and cook for 3-4 minutes to create a crust. Flip and repeat, then remove from pot and onto plate. Remove any burnt pieces from pot carefully with paper towel.
- In the same dutch oven, heat another 1 tbs. olive oil then add onions and bell peppers. Cook for 3-4 minutes before adding in garlic; cook for 1 minute before adding chicken broth and whole can of tomatoes.
- Bring to a low boil then stir in Right Rice (or regular rice). Immediately place chicken breasts back into the pot with any juices from the plate.
- Cover and bake for 15 minutes. Chicken should be cooked through and rice should be puffed with little liquid remaining.
- Top the chicken and rice with sliced olives, feta crumbles and fresh parsley! Serve warm.