Juicy and earthy beets are quick roasted and tossed in a vinegary kale salad, made hearty with fluffy quinoa, marcona almonds and aged cheddar cheese!
Beets may be as divisive as this year’s election.
You really truly either LOVE THEM or DESPISE THEM… there doesn’t seem to be much in between.
But if you clicked on this recipe chances are, we’re on the same team… TEAM BEET BABY!!
Yea so they’re earthy, but they’re also naturally sweet and tender. Roasting them gives them a little extra OOMPH and takes merely 10 minutes!
I love kale salad as much as the next basic healthy food loving girl but there are a few keys to making it delish: good dressing, massaging the leaves and good treasures within the leaves. I’m talking proteins, nuts, other veggies and even cheese that can make the salad exciting to dive into!
A WORD ON MASSAGING YOUR KALE
If you’re not familiar with this technique then it might sound beyond strange but massaging… yes like kneading with your little fingertips… is an absolute requirement for eating kale salads. Rubbing the leaves helps to soften them by breaking down some of their fibers, making them more digestable and delicious.
Place your leaves (removed from the center thick rib) into your salad bowl, pour in your dressing and get to know those leaves a little better!! You’ll instantly see them soften.
I also use pre-cooked quinoa in this recipe — something I love having on hand! I make quinoa, a naturally gluten free grain, even more enjoyable by cooking with onions, garlic and chicken broth in lieu of water. It amps up the flavor tremendously!
This salad is made up of tons of flavorful ingredients like:
- Rotisserie chicken
- Massaged kale
- Roasted beets
- Chewy, sweet dates
- Pre-cooked quinoa
- Marcona almonds
- Unexpected Cheddar cheese from Trader Joe’s
- Red onion slices
Leave anything out you’re not interested in — this salad is totally customizable! Enjoy every bite 🙂
Thank you for being an amazing reader of The Savvy Spoon! If you make this recipe and love it, I would so appreciate you rating it below and/or leaving a comment! Be sure to follow me on Instagram and Facebook for more recipes, workouts and lifestyle content!
Roasted Beet, Kale + Quinoa Salad
- 2 beets scrubbed under water, peeled and diced
- 2 cups torn kale removed from ribs
- ½ cup pre-cooked quinoa see note
- ½ rotisserie chicken breast shredded
- 4 chopped dates pits removed
- ⅓ cup crushed marcona almonds I used the truffle marcona almonds from Trader Joe's
- ¼ cup shredded Unexpected Cheddar cheese or any aged/white cheddar cheese
- ¼ red onion diced thinly
my favorite apple cider vinegar dressing
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup oil I use Wesson Best Blend or olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic smashed
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Slice the tops and bottoms off of the beets, then remove the rough outer skin. Slice then dice into smaller 1" cubes. Place onto a sheet pan lined with foil and greased and into oven for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the quinoa if needed. Chop all ingredients for the salad and place into salad bowl, adding chopped kale last.
- Make dressing by combining all ingredients in a salad shaker or whisking in a bowl. Pour half over kale, then massage kale leaves with fingers to soften.
- Top the kale with the 1/2-3/4 cup cooked quinoa and then the roasted beets. Toss with tongs, pour in remaining dressing and toss again. Serve and enjoy!