Summer is in full swing and there’s nothing quite as summery tasting as Mediterranean food!
Every bite of these Loaded Greek Zucchini Boats is full of freshness — from the in season zucchini to the juicy tomatoes and bright, cool mint! I used seasoned ground beef to add richness and crunchy rosemary marcona almonds for an irresistible crunch… who knew squash could be so satisfying!?
Oh, and the cheese. THE FETA CHEESE. So salty and briny and just enough melty that it helps pull everything together into each perfectly seasoned bite. And you know I had to throw on a little gooey mozzarella to melt over top.
Zucchini boats are a low carb fave in our house because they are so easy to update based on what flavors you’re craving then and there (i.e. my Italian Zucchini Boats!) and so packed with goodness that you won’t miss a morsel.
These Loaded Greek Zucchini Boats are made of a mix of:
- Chopped Zucchini
- Seasoned Ground Beef
- Diced Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- Shredded Mozzarella
- Feta crumbles
- Crushed rosemary marcona almonds
- Fresh mint
Beyond delish. So let’s get to it! Here’s how you’ll make them:
- Halve the zucchinis and scoop out the zucchini meat to create boats.
- Brown ground beef and season well.
- Combine chopped zucchini, ground beef and diced tomatoes, then stuff each boat (overflow is totally ok!)
- Top with cheese and bake!
- Garnish with crushed rosemary marcona almonds and fresh mint!
Hope you enjoy your culinary trip to the Isles!
Loaded Greek Zucchini Boats
- 3 zucchini, rinsed and halved lengthwise
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 tbs. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 1 15-oz. can fire roasted tomatoes, drained (NOT rinsed)
- 6 tbs. feta crumbles
- 6 tbs. shredded mozzarella
- chopped fresh mint
- ½ cup crushed marcona almonds, I used rosemary flavored!
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- salt + pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Take one half of a zucchini at a time and use a small silverware spoon to scoop out the "meat" of each, being careful not to scoop through the bottom of the zucchini half. Place scooped zucchini into a medium bowll and continue with each half.
- In a skillet, warm 1 tbs. olive oil over medium heat. Add ground beef and break up with spoon. As meat starts to cook, sprinkle in oregano, cinnamon and 1 tsp. each of salt and pepper. When no longer pink, drain meat slightly then add to bowl with zucchini meat.
- In the same bowl, add drained fire roasted tomatoes. Mix carefully and taste, adjusting seasoning if needed.
- Line a baking dish with tin foil and spray with cooking spray. Place scooped out zucchini halves in dish, then distribute the zucchini/meat/tomato mixture over top (overflow is ok!). Top each half with 1 tbs. each of feta and mozzarella.
- Bake the zucchini boats for 25 minutes or until cheese is nice and melty.
- Top boats with chopped mint and crushed marcona almonds. Serve warm!