These Italian Stuffed Bell Peppers are easy… and ohhhh so cheesy! Stuffed peppers are a low carb fave in our house because they come together quickly, they’re incredibly flavorful and they’re filling 😋. In this recipe, red bell peppers are stuffed with lean ground turkey and Italian ingredients like ricotta, mozzarella, oregano and artichoke hearts, then roasted to ooey gooey perfection.
Here’s how you’ll make Italian Stuffed Bell Peppers:
- Brown the turkey meat and sauté onions and garlic.
- Mix meat with ricotta, mozzarella and chopped artichoke hearts.
- Prep peppers and stuff with filling.
- Roast for 25 minutes!
Like Stuffed Bell Peppers? Check out my MEXICAN STUFFED BELL PEPPERS next!
TIPS FOR MAKING ITALIAN STUFFED BELL PEPPERS:
- Feel free to swap ground turkey meat for ground beef or chicken.
- There are tons of dairy-free cheeses made from almond milk, cashew milk and more but keep in mind they won’t melt as well as dairy cheese.
- If you want to add even more Italian flavoring, you can mix in a 1/2 cup marinara sauce to the filling before you stuff the peppers!
Let’s dive right in!
Thank you for being an amazing reader of The Savvy Spoon! If you make this recipe and love it, I would so appreciate you rating it below. Be sure to follow me on Instagram and Facebook for more recipes, workouts and lifestyle content!
Italian Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 6 red bell peppers
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 1 lb. ground turkey thigh "lean" not "extra lean"
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1½ cups ricotta cheese part-skim or whole
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese, plus 6 tbs.
- 1 15-oz. can quartered artichoke hearts chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 6 tsp. grated parmesan cheese
- dried oregano
- basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a skillet, warm 1 tbs. olive oil over medium heat, then add diced onions. Cook until soft, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add in ground turkey and minced garlic. Cook until turkey is no longer pink, about 4-5 minutes, then remove from heat.
- In a mixing bowl, place contents of skillet and let cool slightly before adding ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, artichoke hearts, 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Stir to combine.
- Slice tops from peppers and remove core and seeds. Divide filling between the six peppers, then top each with 1 tbs. mozzarella and 1 tsp. parmesan cheese. Place peppers into a dish lined with foil and sprayed with cooking spray. Add 1/2" water to the bottom of the pan.
- Place dish into oven to roast for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden. Top each with a couple shakes of dried oregano and chopped basil leaves. Let cool slightly before serving!