Say hello to summer with these juicy, barbecue-flavored, ground chicken burgers! These burgers are topped with aged white cheddar and gooey caramelized onions and wrapped in iceberg lettuce for a crispy, crunchy, low carb bun.
Where are all my burger lovers at!?
To me, nothing says “summer” quite like BBQ — the grill, the sauce, the char… it gets in the sweet summertime mood every time!
These chicken burgers are infused with sweet and spicy barbecue sauce for extra flavor, adding even more juiciness to each bite! Speaking of flavor… the gooey, sweet onions are the perfect compliment to the tangy BBQ sauce and tender patties.
BBQ sauce can be dividing — I am a sweet and tangy sauce girl through and through, but you choose whatever brand you love (or make your own if you’re up to it!).
If you didn’t know already, I am OBSESSED with Trader Joe’s and live for their new products they’re constantly coming out with. I recently found my favorite cheese, Unexpected Cheddar, now comes pre-shredded! It has a deep nutty, aged cheddar flavor that almost mimics a really good parmesan, and it is absolutely perfect on these BBQ Chicken Burgers.
Here’s how you’ll make my BBQ Chicken Lettuce Wrapped Burgers:
- Combine ground chicken with spices, BBQ sauce and shredded cheese.
- Form patties by dividing patty mix into four equal parts, then shaping into burgers.
- Meanwhile, sauté 1 sliced yellow onion over medium/medium low heat until soft, about 15 minutes.
- Heat a grill pan over medium high heat, then coat in cooking spray.
- Place patties onto grill pan and cook for ~5 minutes per side.
- Top patties with extra shredded cheese, lower heat and cover to melt on top.
- Serve patties on toasted buns or on wedges of iceberg lettuce, topped with onions and more sauce!
Easy peasy! Happy almost 4th of July! Be sure to tag me if you’re cooking anything Savvy this weekend 🙂
MORE SAVVY SPOON BURGER RECIPES:
- Pork Bahn Mi Burgers
- Guacamole Buffalo Chicken Burgers
- Bunless Greek Burgers
- Taco Seasoned Tex-Mex Turkey Burgers
- Goat Cheese + Fig Jam Sliders
- Turkey Cheeseburger Salad
Thank you for being an amazing reader of The Savvy Spoon! If you make this recipe and love it, I would so appreciate you rating it below and/or leaving a comment! Be sure to follow me on Instagram and Facebook for more recipes, workouts and lifestyle content!
BBQ Chicken Lettuce Wrapped Burgers
- parchment paper for holding burgers together
- 1 lb. ground chicken try not to purchase chicken breast! it can dry out easily
- ¼ cup barbecue sauce I like vinegar-based with low sugar
- ¼ cup shredded Unexpected Cheddar cheese or any white/aged cheddar
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 yellow onion sliced thinly
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 head iceberg lettuce washed
- 4 tbsp. shredded Unexpected Cheddar cheese or any white/aged cheddar
- more barbecue sauce
- In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients for patties, being careful not to overmix. Divide mixture into four even sections, then shape four patties. Place onto plate or sheet pan.
- In a medium sauté pan, heat 1 tbsp. oil then add sliced onions. Cook over medium/medium low heat until soft, about 10-15 minutes. Add in balsamic vinegar and cook until absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- While onions cook, heat a grill pan over medium high heat, then spray well with cooking spray. Add all four patties onto hot grill and let cook without disturbing for 5 minutes, then flip. Cook another 5 minutes or until patties are cooked through but still juicy.
- Take out the core of your washed lettuce head, then lay on it's side. Chop lettuce through about 1" thick to create "buns" for burgers. Lay on parchment paper.
- Meanwhile back on the burgers, top with more cheddar cheese then lower heat and cover so that cheese melts.
- Assemble burgers by placing a patty on one wedge of lettuce, then topping with caramelized onions. Add more sauce on top then another wedge of lettuce. Wrap burger with parchment paper to secure!