Roasted, seasoned carrots and mushrooms, crunchy sweet apple and crispy chickpeas adorn this warm kale and quinoa salad!
Ok babes… warm salads are superior, I said it!!
But don’t worry, I come with proof.
First off, warm quinoa tenderizes the kale and soaks up the vinegary dressing.
Roasting your carrots and mushrooms caramelizes them, intensifying and sweetening their flavor.
Oh, and the crispy chickpeas? FORGET IT. You’ll never go back.
Not to mention warm salads are easier to digest…
Have I convinced you yet?!
Here’s how you’ll make my Kale and Quinoa Warm Roasted Salad:
- Sauté onions and garlic before toasting uncooked quinoa in pan. Add broth, boil and simmer until cooked.
- Meanwhile, you’ll roast seasoned carrots and mushrooms on one sheet pan and pulverized, seasoned chickpeas on another. They both get crispier and better tasting as they roast!
- You’ll chop up the kale, apple and prepare the dressing.
- Once everything has finished cooking, toss the salad ingredients together!
The best part about this salad is that it saves — even with the dressing on it! I love how kale can hold up to dressing without wilting. No wonder it ranks so high on my lettuce list!!! I do not actually have a lettuce list but if I did, kale and spinach would reign supreme. Anyway!
Side Dish or Main Event?
That is up to you! We served this as a hearty side to a pork tenderloin and saved the rest for lunches, which I ate without extra protein. Quinoa is protein-packed which makes this salad a great vegan/vegetarian option.
I hope you enjoy every warm, comforting, nurturing bite!
Looking for more Grains + Greens salad recipes? Check these out!
- Air Fryer Cauliflower & Pesto Couscous Salad
- Roasted Tomato and Burrata Farro Salad
- Italian Chopped Salad with Salami
- Fall-ish Kale Salad with Chicken Sausage
- Southwest Chicken Orzo Salad
- And many more!
Thank you for being an amazing reader of The Savvy Spoon! If you loved this post, I would so appreciate you rating it below and/or leaving a comment! Be sure to follow me on Instagram and Facebook for more recipes, twin mom and healthy lifestyle content!
Kale and Quinoa Warm Roasted Salad
- 3-4 kale leaves removed from stems
- 1 small honeycrisp apple diced
- 1 cup quinoa rinsed well
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp. avocado or olive oil
- 2 cups water or broth
carrots & mushrooms
- 3 carrots peeled and diced
- 1 cup sliced crimini or baby bella mushrooms
- 2 tbsp. olive or avocado oil
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 15-oz. can chickpeas/garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp. olive or avocado oil
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 tbsp. dijon mustard
- 2 tsp. honey
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/4-1/2 cup olive or avocado oil
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tbsp. oil then add onion. Cook 2-3 mins then add minced garlic. Cook 1 min before adding rinsed quinoa. Add water or broth and bring to a boil, then lower heat to simmer & cover. Cook until tender, about 20 mins.
Prep Carrots & Mushrooms
- While quinoa cooks, place chopped carrots & mushrooms into a bowl, then drizzle with 2 tbsp. oil. Add 1 tsp. each of salt, paprika and chili powder, and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Toss well then lay onto a sheet pan lined with foil.
Prep Crispy Chickpeas
- Place drained chickpeas into a food processor and pulse to create chickpea “crumbs.” Lay onto another sheet pan lined with foil, then drizzle with 1 tbsp. oil. Season with 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. paprika and 1/4 tsp. pepper.
Roast Carrots, Mushrooms + Chickpeas
- Place both sheet pans into preheated oven and bake for 20-25 mins, or until carrots are easily pierced with knife and chickpeas are golden.
- Prepare salad by chopping kale into thin ribbons. Combine all ingredients for dressing, whisking in oil last to your desired consistency.
- Once cooked, layer kale in a large salad bowl with warm quinoa, roasted carrots, mushrooms, crispy chickpeas, diced apple & dressing! Enjoy warm.