Juicy, pesto marinated chicken breasts topped with bubbling mozzarella cheese and served with bursting cherry tomatoes!
This 30 minute meal is bound to be heavy in your weeknight rotation: it’s effortless, packed with flavor and takes no time to serve — marinating time included!
There’s everything to love about caprese — in salad form, ripe tomatoes, creamy mozzarella slices and scented basil are drizzled in olive oil and vinegar creating a sensational combination. In this dish, chicken breasts are marinated in olive oil, vinegar and herbs to recreate the same flavor profile!
Did I mention the pesto!? It’s truly one of my favorite sauces because a little packs such a punch of garlicky, herby flavor. I topped each chicken breast with a pat of pesto underneath the layer of cheese and I’ll tell you what, it tasted out of this world!
We all know chicken can be pretty basic on it’s own. But when it’s seasoned well, marinated in rich flavors and topped with pesto and cheese — it’s pretty dang special.
Here’s how you’ll make Caprese Baked Chicken:
- Marinate chicken breasts in olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, garlic and oregano.
- Halve cherry tomatoes and place into baking dish.
- Marinate tomatoes with pesto, salt, pepper and a touch of vinegar.
- Place chicken into baking dish over the tomatoes, topping each with pesto.
- Layer mozzarella slices over the chicken and bake!
This recipe couldn’t be easier to execute but you’ll have your friends WOWED by how good plain ole chicken can taste 😉
LOOKING FOR MORE LOW CARB ITALIAN RECIPES?
- Italian Zucchini Boats
- Italian Stuffed Bell Peppers
- Italian Chopped Salad
- Italian Bell Pepper Nachos
- Grain Free Chicken Piccata Nuggets
- Supreme Cauliflower Pizza
Thank you for being an amazing reader of The Savvy Spoon! If you make this recipe and love it, I would so appreciate you rating it below and/or leaving a comment! Be sure to follow me on Instagram and Facebook for more recipes, workouts and lifestyle content!
Caprese Baked Chicken
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 5 tbs. prepared pesto , divided
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered, depending on size
- 6-8 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1 tbs. red wine or balsamic vinegar
- kosher salt and pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 2 tbs. red wine or balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbs. dried oregano
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a ziplock bag, combine all ingredients for the chicken marinade. Season each chicken breast with salt and pepper on both sides, then place them into the bag. Marinate in refrigerator as you prep other ingredients (about 10 minutes; can be longer if needed).
- Prep a 9×12" glass baking dish with cooking spray. Slice cherry tomatoes into half or quarters and place into dish.
- Top cherry tomatoes with 2 tablespoons of pesto, 1 tablespoon of red wine or balsamic vinegar and 1 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Mix well to coat.
- After 10-12 minutes, remove chicken from refrigerator. Move tomatoes towards the edges of the dish so chicken breasts can lay side by side in the middle (chicken can lay over some tomatoes).
- Top each breast with 1 tablespoon of prepared pesto each. Using a spoon or spatula, spread over each breast.
- Over the pesto, lay 2-3 slices of mozzarella over each chicken breast.
- Place baking sheet into oven and bake for 18-20 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Turn heat to broil or highest heat setting in oven. Move top rack 4-5 inches from the top of the oven (make sure dish can still fit in nicely). Place dish back in and broil for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is golden and bubbling (cheese can burn quickly so stay nearby!).
- Serve in bowls with chicken breast over a scoop of cherry tomatoes!