Get your Chinese takeout fix with this flavorful gluten free and low carb Asian beef and broccoli recipe! You’ll use less oil, less sugar and zero flour to create this easy dish.
I think Tyler could seriously eat Asian restaurant food seven days a week if allowed! He’s a man obsessed.
I love it too but it’s not always the healthiest — it can be super high in sodium, high in fat and loaded with sugar. Probably why it’s so irresistible, lol! I love making Asian-inspired recipes at home with a healthier twist.
Beef and broccoli is a crowd favorite and for good reason! Inexpensive ingredients come together simply for a filling, craveable dish.
Not a broccoli fan? You can use this sauce and beef combination with any vegetable, though I think snap peas, green beans, even cauliflower would be most delicious.
To make this recipe healthier than it’s takeout rival we’re toning down the oil, sugar and removing any gluten from the sauce! You won’t miss any one of them one bit. Serve the beef and broccoli over white rice, brown rice or cauliflower rice for a super low carb meal!
For the Beef
Use organic flank steak! It’s an inexpensive cut of beef that is tender and delicious when sliced against the grain and not overcooked.
For the Broccoli
I recommend two heads of broccoli as it shrinks slightly when cooked. You’ll blanch the broccoli first (boil for 10 seconds followed by an ice bath/cold rinse) then toss in sauté pan with sauce.
For the Sauce
I recommend swapping soy sauce for liquid or coconut aminos — both are gluten free and taste the most similar to soy sauce in my opinion. You’ll use arrowroot (or gluten free flour) instead of cornstarch to thicken the sauce and honey instead of brown sugar to sweeten.
Hope you enjoy this recipe! It’s a great one to have in your Asian food craving rotation 🙂
More Asian Inspired Recipes You’ll Love!
- Asian Glazed Sheet Pan Salmon
- Spicy Asian Pork Tenderloin
- Peanut Chicken and Asian Slaw Bowls
- Baked Asian Glazed Meatballs
- Teriyaki Salmon Grain Bowl
- Hibachi Style Chicken and Veggies
- Low Carb Dan Dan Noodles
- Spicy Ramen Slaw
- Red Curry Stir Fry with Ground Chicken
- Spicy Chicken and Cabbage Stir Fry
- Coconut Red Curry Chicken Meatballs
- Whole30 Spaghetti Squash Pad Thai
Thank you for being an amazing reader of The Savvy Spoon! If you loved this post, I would so appreciate you rating it below and/or leaving a comment! Be sure to follow me on Instagram and Facebook for more recipes, twin mom and healthy lifestyle content!
Skinny Beef and Broccoli
- 1 lb. organic flank steak
- 1 tbsp. avocado oil
- 2 heads broccoli chopped into florets
- ½ cup liquid or coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp. honey or agave
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp. ginger paste or 1" piece of ginger peeled + minced
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil can be toasted
- 1 tbsp. arrowroot powder or gluten free flour
- white sesame seeds, chopped green onions, steamed caulilfower rice
- Bring a pot of water (big enough for all chopped broccoli) to a boil over high heat.
- Take your flank steak and slice it into thin strips *against the grain*. This will help to tenderize the meat! Season with pepper only.
- Stir together all ingredients for the sauce except the arrowroot: aminos, honey, garlic, ginger and sesame oil. Then slowly sprinkle in arrowroot powder and whisk to combine.
- When pot of water is boiling, add chopped broccoli and cook for 30 seconds. Then immediately pour into colander and run cold water over top to stop cooking.
- In a non-stick sauté pan, add 1 tbsp. avocado oil then when hot, add in strips of steak. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until cooked through but still slightly pink.
- Toss in drained broccoli and then add in whisked sauce. Cook for another 1-2 minutes or until beef is cooked through to your liking.
- Top beef and broccoli with sesame seeds and green onions! Serve over rice or on it's own.