Bone-in, skin-on chicken is roasted to juicy perfection before added to a veggie packed, tomato and broth-based tortilla soup! You’ll love this flavorful, easily low carb recipe.
IT’S SOUP SEASON!!!!!!!!
Okay more like… it’s September! It’s definitely not cold here in Texas, but in my opinion, it’s always soup season.
Soup is great because it is very easily customizable based on what you have hanging out in the fridge or pantry. Throw everything in, add some chicken broth, season well and bam! You’ve got a big pot of goodness that feeds many.
Tortilla soup comes in many forms but my favorite varieties are lighter and brothy. This recipe is just that – light enough to still enjoy on a summery day but flavorful and hearty enough to feel like a full meal!
Let’s break down this recipe! It has:
- Roasted chicken — roasted in the oven with the bone in and skin on for major flavor
- Onions – to flavor the soup base
- Garlic – to flavor the soup base
- Baby bell peppers – to sneak in extra antioxidants and add texture
- Jalapeños – for heat
- Chicken broth – more flavorful than water!
- Canned roasted diced tomatoes – for that classic tortilla soup flavoring
- Grain-free tortilla chips – to keep it gluten free 🙂
Then the toppings:
- Shredded Mexican cheese – so delicious melted over top
- Fresh cilantro – adds brightness
- Fresh green onions – adds brightness
- Diced avocado – creamy and rich in omega-3s
- Sliced radishes – peppery and crunchy
This recipe requires two dishes to make, about 60 minutes of time but almost 50 minutes of that time is hands-off… I love a set it and forget it recipe!! That’s savvy cooking 🙂
More Soup Recipes: Chicken Chickpea Noodle Soup, Stuffed Bell Pepper Soup, Tortellini Minestrone Soup, Skinny Chicken Pot Pie Soup, Creamy Butternut Squash, Carrot + Ginger Soup, Vegan Broccoli + Cheddar Soup, Thai Coconut Chicken Soup
Thank you for being an amazing reader of The Savvy Spoon! If you loved this post, I would so appreciate you rating it below and/or leaving a comment! Be sure to follow me on Instagram and Facebook for more recipes, twin mom and healthy lifestyle content!
Roasted Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts will remove skin later but it's great for roasting!
- 2 tbsp. oil I used avocado oil
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 5 baby bell peppers in different colors sliced
- 1 15-oz. can diced roasted tomatoes
- 1 tsp. salt + pepper each
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups grain-free tortillas crunched
- fresh cilantro, fresh green onions, shredded Mexican cheese, sliced avocado + sliced radishes
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- Line a sheet pan with aluminum foil then place on chicken. Drizzle chicken skin with a little oil then season the two breasts well with salt, pepper and cumin.
- Roast chicken for 40 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Meanwhile while chicken roasts, start soup. Heat 2 tbsp. oil to dutch oven or deep sided pot then add onions, baby bell peppers and garlic. Season with a little salt and pepper and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add in canned tomatoes and chicken broth, 1 tsp. each of salt and pepper then bring to a boil. Lower heat to simmer.
- When chicken has cooled slightly, remove the skin and using two forks, shred the chicken, discarding the rib bones. Add chicken to simmering soup along with crunched up tortilla chips. Taste for seasoning and adjust if needed.
- Divide soup into bowls then top with toppings!